Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Profile to follow slope of roof

4hotshoes
Advisor
Can I use the same complex profile for a roof eave and rake? I want it to look the same with the detailed fascia and soffit wrapping and joining at the peak. I pretty sure I can do the eave with the fascia perpendicular to the roof plain. But it is not clear how to get it to wrap the corner and follow up the slope. I know that I can thicken the roof and set the ends, but I want to add detail to the profile. Is there a video for this? Can it be done? I am still new to AC. Thanks

Todd
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
18 REPLIES 18
Lingwisyer
Guru
I am assuming that by using the outside edge of the profile, then offsetting it, solves the kinked connection issue as it now has the offset edge to work with before it reaches the corner? Though this only works when you have exterior corners as interior corners have the opposite kink which is made worse by the offset.

Rather than using a Direct Connection with a Subtraction, you can use a Gooseneck with a Sloped Railing: Horizontal set to your Profile width. With one setting, you get all of your corners. Using a direct connection, you need a left side Subtraction when going from horizontal to sloped, and a right side Subtraction when going from sloped to horizontal.

I have been unable to get a tangential eave to work with an offset, so as far as I can tell, an offset is only required for a vertical eave.
The direction of the profile (which side of the origin it is on) will determine which direction you have to draw the railing (I think - I am still testing all of this).

The direction of the profile depends on how it is drawn relative to it's origin. ie. If it is drawn with the outside edge facing the right side, then you draw the railing anti-clockwise and vice versa.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
I am assuming that by using the outside edge of the profile, then offsetting it, solves the kinked connection issue as it now has the offset edge to work with before it reaches the corner?

Yes, this allows for the transition path to be calculated along the outside of the profile where you will have a greater than zero length for each section.
When you mitre these back to the roof corner, all the transitions will take place at the one node, so section length will be zero, which is why it doesn't work.

Lingwisyer wrote:
Though this only works when you have exterior corners as interior corners have the opposite kink which is made worse by the offset.

I haven't worked internal corners out yet.
All in the same plane is fine, it is when they go from raking back to horizontal again it just doesn't work.
I don't think it is actually possible as the flat transition needs to be on the back (wrong side) of the horizontal moulding.
If you figure it out, let me know.

BarryKelly_0-1634780071879.pngBarryKelly_1-1634780122874.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Sometimes for a better floorplan projection you can use a roof and use an inverse profile to SEO cut out the bits you don't need. For the SEO it is easy to use profiled beams.

The sloping bits in below example are all roofs:

That's ArchiCAD16 model.

The end result:

edit: apparantly you cannot use the IMG tags on this forum, even though the button sits there when you write a post.

edit after this popped up again: IMG tags now work in 2021, woo!
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Lingwisyer
Guru
Yeah... That is probably why you generally do not do your bargeboard with the same profile as your fascia.

@Erwin Edel, yeah... the hyperlink tag also did not work the last time I tried either.

Ling.

Lingwisyer
Guru
Lingwisyer wrote:
do not do your bargeboard with the same profile as your fascia

In regards to this, in Edit Mode you could select all of your bargeboards and change their profile to a different one, either completely different or stretched to match the angle change.

Ling.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry, trying to follow along here. We use 1x8 over a 1x12 fascia on a few of our projects, and I am trying to see if this will work for us. Is there a trick to get the complex profile to pull into the railing tool? I have "Use with:" set to Railing and Library parts but in the railing settings box there doesn't seem to be anywhere select the profile. Thoughts?
I was working in an old project, and 22 Library wasn't completely loaded into the project.
Barry Kelly
Jason wrote:
I was working in an old project, and 22 Library wasn't completely loaded into the project.
You will need the full 22 library loaded (or at least the railing objects and macros - but you will have to extract the LCF to get to the individual parts).
Then in the railing options you will see the 'Profiled Rail 22' where you can choose the profile you have created.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:

You will need the full 22 library loaded (or at least the railing objects and macros - but you will have to extract the LCF to get to the individual parts).
Then in the railing options you will see the 'Profiled Rail 22' where you can choose the profile you have created.

Barry.
Yeah, I went back and edited my comment to include the but about working in the old project and that I was able to trace the issue back to having the wrong libraries loaded. Thanks for your response though.

After playing around with it, we are having issues getting it to clean up to something we can use though. It is an interesting use of the tools in ArchiCAD, and I can see it being useful in some cases, it was worth a try.

Lingwisyer
Guru
So, it would appear that railing segmentation depends on how you draw your railing. If you use the auto associative pathing you will get a single segment for the railing between your two selected nodes regardless of how many actual nodes there were between your two. So when using it make sure you do not just auto path the entire roof, but at a minimum, add path nodes at locations where you have a transition between say a facia board and a bargeboard. If you do not do this you will be unable to select the relevant segment to change it's rotation / profile.

Ling.