BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Purging (or understanding) embedded Libraries

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a Project that I have migrated from AC10 to AC14. In the Library manager are listed two embedded libraries that state that they are 19.7MB file size and state that Duplicate can be found in the ArchiStair Library. Any way to purge these almost 20MB libraries? Do they effect the PLN file size and performance?
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
Hey Jay,

Long time. They are not libraries, but library parts. Anyway, all you do is click that bright red "X" button when the embedded part is selected. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Hey Jay,

Long time. They are not libraries, but library parts. Anyway, all you do is click that bright red "X" button when the embedded part is selected. 😉

Cheers,
Karl

Karl, Thanks for always reaching out to the Community with your help.

My Question was less of a how and more of a what if.

I am always so cautious of deleting anything even if on the surface if looks like it is unnecessary. I decided to "go for it" removed the Archistair.LIB and the embedded files. I kept the the Archistair2.Lib which seems to have adopted a "Archistair1 Migrated Library" (Attachment).

All seems fine with these library edits, although the resulting file size is not changed and the File still tells me that I need a 64-bit system to generate any section of 3D window. Also the Autosave takes about 45-seconds to 1-minute every time, which was a huge hassle. It is a complex model and does seem to work better in AC14. I may just have to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 64-bit.
Karl Ottenstein
Jay wrote:

My Question was less of a how and more of a what if.
Sorry I misunderstood. For next time, to play it safe, you can always save the embedded objects somewhere before deleting them. Select the object(s) and then click the disk-icon. Then you can re-embed if deleting them causes problems.

I had not noticed the number of ArchiStair libs loaded. In a case like that, with multiple linked libraries where you are not positive about deleting one or more of them, the bottom panel and/or the blue info "i" button come to the rescue.

Just click on a linked library and at the bottom of the Lib Mgr, under the "Properties of <lib name>" panel, you'll see a count of "Placed obejcts". If it is 0 (zero), then the library link can be safely deleted.

Pressing the "i" button gives you the actual list of placed objects. If the list is empty, same deal. If it only has one or two items in use, you can consider embedding those objects into your file and then deleting the link to the library. (The button that looks like a piece of paper with a white arrow going into it is the 'embed all parts of this library' action. Relatively rare that one would use it.)

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Jay wrote:
All seems fine with these library edits, although the resulting file size is not changed and the File still tells me that I need a 64-bit system to generate any section of 3D window. Also the Autosave takes about 45-seconds to 1-minute every time, which was a huge hassle. It is a complex model and does seem to work better in AC14. I may just have to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 64-bit.
It was weird that the embedded object(s) were so huge - MB. If they were really that big, deleting them should have reduced your file size. I've not seen the message about needing 64 bit to generate section/3D. How big is your file in MB? Have you run PolyCount? If so, what is the total polygon count for the model?

How much total RAM does your XP machine have, and how much free disk space on the boot volume? If you have 4 GB of RAM and SP3 of XP and you have not already added the /3GB switch to your system to allow programs to use more than 2 GB RAM, take a look at these articles:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/How%20to%20Check%20Virtual%20Memory%20Usage

the link at the bottom for the 3GB switch is bad - requires a login. See these articles for steps involved:

http://www.artlantis.com/543-how-can-allocate-more-than-gb-of-ram-by-application-under-windows-xp.ht...

or (Autodesk!):

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8018966&linkID=9243099

If your model really requires more memory (vs some kind of file corruption), this may let you keep working with your current machine and postpone an upgrade to a 64 bit system.

Cheers,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl, I am going to see if that helps.
Do you recommend the #1 suggestion in the archicadwiki article?

What to do if it turns out that the virtual memory is not enough

1. In the Work Environment under Advanced Redraw Options Move the Memory Usage slider to Low. It will make some functions of ArchiCAD slower but it will use less memory. It might not always improve the situation because it only has effect on few functions. end
Karl Ottenstein
Don't know. I'm of the "try everything (nondestructive) and see what works" philosophy...

Hope the /3GG might do it for you.

Cheers,
Karl
Learn and get certified!