BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Railings...how to get the space in between pickets constant?

rob2218
Enthusiast
So...is there any railing object that I can use that I can have the "spacing" in between the pickets to be a "consistent" dimension.....say, Ohhh...I dunno, the code says no great than 4" therefore.....can I have a railing with a parameter that can do this?

Right now I'm guessing at 12 pickets, 18 pickets, 24 pickets and only being able to do it visually. Sure...I can take a distance, divide by the number 4 and see what comes up the railings object SHOULD have a parameter that you can set that says "distance between pickets = 4" and be done with it.

And if you stretch the railing....the pickets increase every FOUR INCHES one more gets added.....not this darn guessing game I'm playing right now.

RAILING-DESIGN-SMALL.jpg
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
The Fence Vertical 16 object can do it, so it must be possible. Just don't ask me how

In saying that, though, the spacing is shown as minimum, not maximum (or range) and I'm not sure about the spelling of "Plain" tops to the slats.
Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 4.48.03 PM.png
rob2218
Enthusiast
BUMMER.....isn't there one in AC18 that can do it?
I mean...it blows that you can't 'exactly' control the spacing of the pickets rather you have rely on "how many" and then when the fence stretches...well, all 773H breaks loose.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Try "Rail Balustrade 18". That's the one I use most.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
rob2218
Enthusiast
WOW...that one is pretty slick.
Can it use "other" picket types or is stuck on the ones in the parameters only?
I like how it can be pulled or squeezed and the pickets stay the same spacing...really slick.
wish the "other" railings worked that way.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I'm afraid you are stuck with those pickets. But, I agree that all the other railings should work that way. A railing object shouldn't require you to figure out how many pickets are in a particular length.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
rob2218
Enthusiast
I could've sworn somewhere in the archives of all these "objects" that I saw a railing where when you stretched it.....the pickets either added or deducted....but yes, not that you had to do the math to figure out how many pickets to place in the parameters box so you can get a semblence of the correct (and/or by code) number of verticals needed. it's just wrong they way the railing object works now.
Stephen wrote:
I'm afraid you are stuck with those pickets. But, I agree that all the other railings should work that way. A railing object shouldn't require you to figure out how many pickets are in a particular length.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Learn and get certified!