Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Stairs not showing in 3D

Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all, thanks to everyone who will take their own time to read about my problem and help. I am designing a fairly small house for my End Thesis project. I have used on another project for my end thesis the stairs, and have also on this particular file used them successfully.

The problem is, I had to delete "the old" stairs, and redo them... and after redoing, what happens is that they simply refuse to show on 3D View. They remain as the profile the stairs will have, but never get completed as a solid object. They do show on the plans correctly, but on section view they also display as blue lines.

I have tried to look into it before asking, without much luck. I found some people had a similar problem in some posts last year, but the 5021 Update was supposed to fix this, so I guess either I am doing something wrong ( and cannot figure out what ), my file got corrupted ( and I cannot find how to clean it ), or I stumbled into something diferent.

After that, I also used the railing took for a makeshift fence, just so that in section cuts I can be made aware of the solid limits of the lot, while still designing ( I am nowhere close to a finished documentation set yet ).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/83okm706kqz51lu/StairAndRailing004.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6bzr60x2x9724v/StairAndRailing005.jpg?dl=0

Thank you so much for any help, I will keep researching, but I already spent a good portion of a good day in this and am going a bit crazy 😕
14 REPLIES 14
Barry Kelly
Images are not attached and the links do not appear to be working.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sorry Barry, it seems I uploaded to a URL that isn't working anymore, I moved to a new subdomain in my site. Thank you for pointing out, for me, the images always show as not loading here, so I place the URL links as a backup for that reason, still trying to figure out how to correctly place the images.
Barry Kelly
jessicaluchesi wrote:
I'm sorry Barry, it seems I uploaded to a URL that isn't working anymore, I moved to a new subdomain in my site. Thank you for pointing out, for me, the images always show as not loading here, so I place the URL links as a backup for that reason, still trying to figure out how to correctly place the images.
I just take a screen shot, save as a JPG and then upload from the link below where you type the post.
There is a file size limit but I have never had any trouble taking screen shots.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Barry. I will change to inline attachments now, but the links are fixed...

... I am still researching the issue and found no solution. Does anyone have any suggestion? Does archicad have a feature similar to the "Purge" command on Rhino to clean up discarded geometry,which sometimes helps fix these issues?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Made a small video and am also sharing the file in case anyone desires to take a peek and see what I am doing wrong... or what is the cause. I think I may have to start again from scratch, since I cannot find a solution on my own.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3cysla9nkc7phw/CasaNaPedrinha_2018_04_09_v01%20-%20GRAPHISOFT%20ARCHICAD-64%2021%20EDU%2013-Apr-18%209_52_32%20AM.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9qbfrbbtnaawfh/CasaNaPedrinha_2018_04_09_v01.pln?dl=0
Anonymous
Not applicable
Understanding it might be some element in the file corrupting the generation, or the file could be corrupted... I made this small video, deleting all elements on all stores ( by Control + A, then Delete everything )... and the problem persists,... but if I start a new file from scratch, the stair element works like a charm,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nolqi41f5pn3nyd/CasaNaPedrinha_2018_04_09_v01%20-%20GRAPHISOFT%20ARCHICAD-64%2021%20EDU%2013-Apr-18%2010_35_08%20AM.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1obqhz8b4mh4f03/CasaNaPedrinha_2018_04_09_v01%20-%20GRAPHISOFT%20ARCHICAD-64%2021%20EDU%2013-Apr-18%2010_39_42%20AM.mp4?dl=0
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to keep a feedback trail... I went back to Rhino.... redid the connection with the point cloud to create the terrain mesh from scratch... re-imported the reference lines as Splines this time... was more selective on what to import, so, went to just the terrain border lines, no level curves or anything... imported as Splines instead of line morphs... and it seems to be working. Did a couple of tests and I have a new base file ready for working, and created a fence and a few test stairs and it all seems to be fine.

I am keeping the link to files because I am still curious to what happened... if anyone come up with a good answer I would be very thankful. The last import created some of the line geometry at -10 E8 in height... and I had to manually adjust height on those I found... maybe that's part of the problem. This time I still got import errors when importing the lines, but imported one by one, and made sure they are at the correct height, so... maybe something I did not notice happened there, and it could serve as a tip for those willing to investigate.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
jessicaluchesi:

I looked at the pin file. It is a MVO setting: Model View Options > Stair and Railing Options > Stair Detail Level in 3D and Section: change to Full. MVOs are set per View, so check your View settings.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you David, I am coming across another issue, that I'll also test this, to see if I'm also facing a configuration issue.

For example, if I have two floors, say, top and bottom. And create a stair from bottom to top. But I do not create on the top floor any "holes" for the stair to come through. Yes, people would walk and hit their heads on the top floor, but representation wise, the whole stair would be occluded by the top floor, and if I were drawing by hand, I would not draw it. If I create a hole, and it is smaller than the actual stair, just enough for people to pass through, on the top floor, I should only see the portion of the stair visible through the hole, not the whole stair.

But just doing that exercise, I have the whole stair being plotted. I just realized it because I did such a case, where part of the stair should stay in occlusion and so, not drawn, and it always shows fully. I am still looking on the documentation where this is set, I imagine there might be a toggle to set occlusion properties for stairs and other elements visible or hidden on the lower floor, but so far no luck