Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

TUBE problems

Bruce
Expert
I'm developing a bent spring object, using the TUBE command. I've got the maths working, but unfortunately, the TUBE command puts small creases in the profile as it starts to go over the bend. You will also see some large twists near the apex.

I've have tried playing with the angle parameter, but it has little effect.

I've conferred with some colleagues, who are confident this is either a bug, or beyond the capacity of TUBE to deal with.

Any ideas?

spring.jpg
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
10 REPLIES 10
Bruce
Expert
The gsm file
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Alex Moruzzi
Participant
If you've tried setting the tube mask to 0 and other values ... then I have no clue
Archicad 19 - OSX10.10 - MBP early 2011 16G/ssd
DGSketcher
Legend
I'm not an advanced GDL coder, but if this is one continuous tube around a centre of rotation then perhaps you might get around the graphic problems by creating the end spirals and then infill with a single 360 degree spiral?

This might also help if you haven't already got it...

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~lazwww/cookbook/gdl_cookbook/index.html

I still refer to it on a regular basis.

Just checked DNC's book and he does make reference to problems with rendering TUBE and seems to favour using bPrism for this type of object.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Pertti Paasky
Advocate
Hi, you could examine the geometrics by switching the wireframe on. The tube section's orientation needs to be calculated and in some cases knots can appear. By splitting the tube into suitable pieces this problem can be avoided.
- AC-24 FIN - WIN 10 - HP Zbook -
“A winner is just a loser who tried one more time.”
George M. Moore, Jr.
Bruce
Expert
Thanks all. I've had a look at these various options, but to no avail. Splitting into smaller segments seems to be the only way...which still creases a bit.

Does anyone from Graphisoft have any input?
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Bruce wrote:
Does anyone from Graphisoft have any input?
You might try here: GRAPHISOFT GDL Center > Forums, and if you get a reply, please link back to this thread.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
It seems that the circle segments that are connected to form the tube twist around the axis, causing the creases.

Maybe try coding one with a square or triangle polygon to fix the rotation around the axis that happens, than switch back to the circulare polygon.

If you set RESOL to 3 you can see it happening more clearly. The twisting that is.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Nader Belal
Mentor
Hi every one,

Have anyone of you found a way to stop the profile's rotation ?

Or have abyone found the way to calculate that rotation ?
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Bruce
Expert
Not to my knowledge - this is an inherent problem with the TUBE command.

It's almost irrelevant, but I tried the same coding (well, logic) using Ruby inside SketchUP, and the FollowMe command, and no twisting. So it's definitely unique to the TUBE GDL.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --