BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Tip of the month question

Thomas Holm
Booster
I made a custom window following David Pacifio's tip of the month: http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/customwindows.html

The window is rectangular, but mullions etc extend in such a way that the default wallhole is created too big. Thus by follwing David's tip, I made the 3D wallhole fit.

But the 2D wallhole (the mask that cuts the wall in the plan view) is still too big (see attachment), and doesn't care about my efforts to make it smaller. Is there a simple way to fix this?

wrongwin.jpg
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
13 REPLIES 13
Karl Ottenstein
HI Thomas,

Can you post an elevation view of your window?

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
Can you post an elevation view of your window?
... and the window itself?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
Sorry, being in a hurry I'm getting sloppy. (The plan view should have been a .gif). And I had to get some sleep.

Below is a view combo showing dumps (not to scale) from the constructed window's .pln file.
(it looks weird diminshed -please click on it, it's just 16K)
korsfonster.gif
Thomas Holm
Booster
And here's a shaded axon view where I placed it too high in the wall, showing that it cuts the wall correctly in 3D.
Thomas Holm
Booster
And finally, here's the win object itself. (I'm still on AC7v3).

As you can see, it's a beautiful traditional Swedish window, slightly Baroque in style, although in this case built around 1910. The object is regrettably just a very crude representation of the real thing, which has all kinds of small but exquisite detailing.

In the object's 2D view, i removed the trimmings (no need for them there). And the WALLHOLE command made the 3D cut perfect. But in the plan view, the hole in the wall is still too big (makes room for the trimmings).

The forum refused to accept the WIN file type, so I had to zip it. I used two different types of encoding, see below. Also, i'm not sure if i succeeded to save it in cross-platform format. Please notify if something's wrong!

Thomas
Thomas Holm
Booster
Here's the other one.
Djordje
Ace
Thomas wrote:
In the object's 2D view, i removed the trimmings (no need for them there). And the WALLHOLE command made the 3D cut perfect. But in the plan view, the hole in the wall is still too big (makes room for the trimmings).
That is the answer to your question. When you make the window that way, the plan hole size equals the width of ALL the elements that make the window - including the trimmings. So the A of the winow is the window hole plus the trimming. Try reducing it in the script.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
Not to be impolite, Djordje, but the question, which it is, can hardly be the answer when I'm asking for a solution!

This way of making a window doesn't generate a 2D script, just a 3D one. Thus I was under the impression that this WALLHOLE command would be used when Archicad cuts the wall in floor plan window too. But not.

And since I can't access this 2D plan wallhole in the object's 2D symbol window or "2D full view" window (why two similar? windows??), and I don't know how to create a 2D script from scratch, I still don't know how to do it. Which was my question in the first place!

I think I still hate GDL.

Thomas
Oleg
Expert
Thomas wrote:
Is there a simple way to fix this?
Open the script editor. Press the "details..." button.
Type in the X+ and X- fields
-95*A/1410
And save.

Oleg
Learn and get certified!