Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Tip of the month question

Thomas Holm
Booster
I made a custom window following David Pacifio's tip of the month: http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/customwindows.html

The window is rectangular, but mullions etc extend in such a way that the default wallhole is created too big. Thus by follwing David's tip, I made the 3D wallhole fit.

But the 2D wallhole (the mask that cuts the wall in the plan view) is still too big (see attachment), and doesn't care about my efforts to make it smaller. Is there a simple way to fix this?

wrongwin.jpg
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
13 REPLIES 13
Thomas Holm
Booster
Thanks! I'll test that tomorrow. Is it too much to ask what i am doing? 😉
Oleg
Expert
Thomas wrote:
Thanks! I'll test that tomorrow. Is it too much to ask what i am doing? 😉
X+, X- is opening oversizes ( left and right ).
It is a GDL expression. Your window has 95 mm empty space from each side. But this space will change if you will change the A parameter. As your window has 1410 mm full width, scaled space is 95*A/1410. Minus that expression will reduce the extra space (i hope).

Oleg.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Thanks, Oleg. This seems to work fine! And now that I understand what's happening, I can do more.

A sidenote: One might think that Archicad by default (when nothing special is specified in the 2D script) should use the 3D wallhole for cutting walls in 2D too. I guess that it doesn't is due to its historical roots. But Archicad needs to get more flexible in the 3D handling, so I'd say this is something the programmers should look into.

(or am I saying this just to regain my wise-guy status?) 😉

Thomas
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I have approached this a bit differently...

Instead of using the OVERSIZE function, I re-set A and B to the FRAME size without the trim.....

1. Create window with TRIM and everything else...
2. Know the size of the FRAME; for this discussion we'll say the window is 4'-0"w x 5'-0"h (sorry for feet and inches)... and our trim is 4" all around.
3. Our entire GDL would show 4'-8" x 5'-8".
4. When the GDL is completed by archiCAD, open it up and change A to 4'-0" and B to 5'-0".
5. In the 3d Script, change the MUL statements to the respective values (so, Mulx a/4'-8" will change to mulx A/4'-0", etc.)

Now your window callouts will be the actual size of the window and NOT the OVERALL size w/ trim; which is more tradional here in the US.

This will be reviewed at ACWest / Adv Modeling techniques!
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop