Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trim top of wall

Beginner
Participant

Beginner_0-1665223370847.png
I would like to trim the walls as shown in the picture. I can't trim them to the roof as they  go further up than the roof.

Hope someone can help me to the right, and hopefully easy method. I am new to Archicad, but have experience from Revit.

23 REPLIES 23

Select the wall then right click and choose connect then trim elements to roof then click on the roof and select which part of the wall will be retained.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

It looks like you want to effectively create a parapet around the edge so the walls are higher than the roof but follow the profile of the roof edge indicated by your red line. The only way I know to do this is to actually add another small roof over the walls you want to trim at the higher level but place them on a new layer you can turn off do the roofs are not visible. Although I’m reality the wall will likely be capped with a profile of some sort so you could leave them in place. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

This does not work for me as the walls are higher than the top of the roof,

I ended up trimming them to a "fake roof" that I deleted after the trim, but it felt like work-around and not a good pratice.

Yes I’m sorry I couldn’t get your intention until I read Lee’s post, thx.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

That is effectively what you have to do but in reality will the wall not have some form of capping on it anyway? All of the tools in Archicad can be used for multiple real like elements. As an example, a roof can be a roof or a wall coping or a ramp or any slanted instance of an element. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Another approach would be to form your capping with simple rectangle or  complex profile beams and then use that with a solid element operation (SEO) having upward extrusion. Just make sure the capping material strength has a higher value than your wall materials. This complex profile has the advantage over roofs that the profile can reflect what will actually be built on site rather than just using a rectangle.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
mthd
Mentor

From what I know and so you don’t have a big work around next time. Is to take and elevation view of your parapet/pediment wall, then add a node at the middle point of the wall, then go to the ends and move the corners down to your desired height. You can draw guidelines at the roof slope angle so your wall is exactly at the correct pitch as well. I don’t know very much but I like taking shortest way around if I can ? Have fun.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

@mthd Could you expand on your workflow? To the best of my knowledge the only way to reshape a wall top (or base) is by SEO cutting, trim to roof or crop to roof. Your method isn't documented, but if it does work I would be interested in using it!

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)