Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Upgrading to ArchiCAD V13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well my support subscription invoice has just arrived so with the current state of the economy I had to check, Is the upgrade to version 13 worth me having.

I checked with my reseller who said the only thing he can tell me is that ArchiCAD 13 will have better team work. That would be fine if I was a large practice, but I am not. So for now ArchiCAD 12 will do just fine and I can save the money.

Unless there is a significant improvement in the tools why bother?
111 REPLIES 111
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
owen wrote:
All sounds reasonable .. and who says you ever need to sign out? Reserve some sort of dummy workspace and just make sure you Update regularly so you never have to download the whole file again.
Yes, you can stay Joined.
All you need to make sure is to Release All your reservations if you know that you will not be working on the Project for a while.
Then you stay Joined, but with no elements reserved by you.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Djordje wrote:

Get off your high horse, apologize to the people that you insulted and shut up finally. It is the almighty know-it-alls like you that brought this forum down.

Yeah, that (an apology) will happen.
Although, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were either of you.

I have nothing to apologize for since I didn't insult him nor any of the other people on this forum. If you chose to find offense in my posts where there was none intended nor none conveyed, then frankly speaking that's your issue and your problem, and yours alone. That post was not even directed at him, nor was he even involved in that discussion and yet in typical manner he decides to jump in for whatever reason, cursing and throwing vile epithets at me, and I'm the one that's supposed to apologize? To him?

Like I said, don't hold your breath.

You may be right about one thing though - when you talk about what has brought this forum down, or rather the fact of the forum having devolved. Although I would hesitate to lay the blame at the feet of infrequent posters such as myself, unless you're trying to suggest I have more influence over what goes on here - even when I'm not posting- than I actually do. But you're welcome to your own speculations and/or delusions on the matter.

This is the last I am commenting on this matter, since it has degenerated into the usual type of silliness (and I am sorry it has come to that). So you get your wish for me to 'shut up' - so go ahead and knock yourself out, and carry on lavishing praise on AC13, as before.
Djordje
Ace
Bricklyne wrote:
I have nothing to apologize for since I didn't insult him nor any of the other people on this forum.
Don't know how the Canadian political correctness treats asking someone if he has taken his pills, but in my book that is an insult. My problem, maybe.
Bricklyne wrote:
so go ahead and knock yourself out, and carry on lavishing praise on AC13, as before.
If you reduced your hate levels, you would have noticed that I have not lavished any praise on 13. I say what I have to say about it to the people that matter - the developers. It is beyond you, anyway.

Agreed that there is no point continuing this discussion.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
owen
Newcomer
I still stand by my belief that we should have had a 64bit AC13 for OSX - they did it for Windows and they have had a long time to prepare.

HOWEVER

I am reading a few more things around on the 'nets and am coming to the reassuring (conciliatory?) conclusion that Graphisoft are further along the Cocoa conversion process than I thought. Far enough along in fact that I would think it possible to push out a 13 update that brought this to us Mac users. If it is possible then I really do not think Graphisoft should hold it back until AC14 given Mac users have paid for it and AC14 is likely another 12-18 months away. It doesn't fit with GS release practices though so don't expect it.

So in summary I am very confident AC14 will be 64bit on OSX - I think GS probably has a pretty good idea that Carbon is not going to get much love in 10.7 and so it really will need to be anyway. Not expecting it but we could well be pleasantly surprised before then ..
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Thomas Holm
Booster
owen wrote:
I still stand by my belief that we should have had a 64bit AC13 for OSX - they did it for Windows and they have had a long time to prepare....
Owen,

I think you may rest assured that Archicad eventually will be 64bit on the Mac too. I wouldn't hold my breath for this upgrade to be a simple hotfix though, I think you'll have to wait for an upcoming full program version.

The reason for the delay on the Mac platform is of course the same that made Adobe release CS4 in a 64-bit version for Windows, but not for the Mac: Apple's decision to eventually abandon the Carbon 64bit APIs took everybody by surprise, since Apple previously had promised that Carbon and Cocoa would stay equal citizens.

To make this transition for a large program system like Archicad (or CS) is a big task, hardly possible to complete from scratch to release within the usual release cycle of 12-18 months.

I'm convinced that we'll see other advantages on the Mac when it's completed though. If you read ArsTechnica's Snow Leopard review through, you will realise some of the possibilities.

On the other hand, this review also shows that some of Apple's 64bit technologies are far from mature, and while they promise much, I think it wasn't really possible for a company with an advanced program like Archicad to complete development of a Mac 64-bit version until now when Snow Leopard has been released and it's features finalized.

So, we'll have to wait some more. I'm convinced it'll be worthwhile.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
ares997
Contributor
Archicad 25 (5005), Windows 11, AMD RYZEN 7 3900 (64 GB RAM)
owen
Newcomer
Thomas wrote:
I think you may rest assured that Archicad eventually will be 64bit on the Mac too. I wouldn't hold my breath for this upgrade to be a simple hotfix though, I think you'll have to wait for an upcoming full program version.
Yes thats what i'm saying. It could be very close, closer than AC14 but i agree with you that it will most likely be a full program version. Thats just how Graphisoft rolls these days. Anyway .. looks like there are a few Snow Leopard related bugs to be sorted out in both GSHQ and Cupertino first

now as for

ares997,

mate, i don't know what i did to offend you but I have been using ArchiCAD since 1997 and a member here since 2004. I have been a beta tester. I think those facts speak for themselves.

I do not need to be a cheerleader for ArchiCAD.

If Graphisoft does something well I will acknowledge them for it.

If I think something is not right i will say it - as i have here regarding the progress of a 64bit ArchiCAD. Yeah over and over again sometimes if i think the issue is important enough. Go back through the various posts i have made, have a serious think and tell me if on the balance i am being unconstructive and have ever insulted anyone. This would be about the closest i have come i would say ...

I would rather speculate on these things than blindly cheer GS along in what ever they do. Along the way people may change my mind on things .. you never know.

As for GS delivering something that was sub-par .. ArchiCAD 8?? (Edit: Not 8.1 - thanks Thomas for correcting up my slip)

64-bit programs .. Cinema4D R11 and it loves the RAM (although not running it here anymore)
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Erika Epstein
Booster
Karl wrote:
I have basic DSL (1.5 mbps download, 900 kbps upload - so maximum 150 KB/S down and 90 KB/S up) in the foothills outside Bozeman, Montana; within the city radius, higher speed are possible. Erika, in Los Angeles, has a cable modem with something similar I think. (We did various tests between each other as well.)

Cheers,
Karl
No cable, I am not a TV person. I have DSL and testing my connection just now
Download is 2.51 megabits
Upload is 0.32 Megabits
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Christiaan
Participant
I was looking at the pricing on this page (which is cheaper than I thought, I had it in my mind that ArchiCAD was 4x Vectorworks for some reason):
http://www.applecoredesigns.co.uk/licencing.php

Is the ArchiCAD 13 NET Licence the one that allows licence borrowing? Or is that just a normal local network floating licence?
owen
Newcomer
The fact that you guys had TW2 working with a dev in Hungary at these speeds is a testament to Graphisoft.

Based on previous TW collab over the internet using business grade synchronous connections i would not have thought it possible (for big projects at least).

You could actually work remotely basically anywhere you have 3G cellphone coverage - particularly interesting for people not in major metro areas who are currently limited in their choices for internet access. This will be how most people get their internet in the not-too-distant future. We always used to joke about sitting out in the park by the harbour at my old office - it was so close but even TW over WiFi was pushing it. Maybe someone will finally do it.
cheers,

Owen Sharp