Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

WISH: Make input components more "grasshopper" like

Joe Putnam
Booster
The fact that one cannot list all stories and then operate in a standard grasshopper way to decide which story to place an element on is not exactly grasshopper like.

I think this goes for all of the the components in the "Input" category as well as Property Settings and Profile Settings. They should also return lists of all items in Archicad and one should be able to use logic to choose the most appropriate item from that list. The current workflow is just to slow when you are creating many objects which all have different settings.

Utilizing the grasshopper addon for real world work like towers is not as optimal as it could be because of this. Especially if one needs to do multiple studies.

Similarly it would be very useful to be able to create/change some of the input items from grasshopper. Looking at you stories/profiles/layers/composites etc........
11 REPLIES 11
leceta
Expert
+1 absolutely.

Simple to implement: Just a simple "select all" check box at components context menu, resulting in a List output.

Plugin designed by non GH-users, I always have thought...
runxel
Legend
Also not having access to the story heights is ridiculous!
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Joe Putnam
Booster
leceta wrote:
Plugin designed by non GH-users, I always have thought...
100% this.

Maybe they need to put the code up on github for the community to contribute to. Dynamo is not an AutoDesk project.
leceta
Expert
Maybe they need to put the code up on github for the community to contribute to
or at least this:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=67240
leceta
Expert
The Json interface project could be a good oportunity to include commands related to Grasshopper communication, hopefully the could profit the work already done for this plugin.
leceta
Expert
Even GDL itself. This could be (for the first time ?) that we can have just ONE interface to programmatically control the WHOLE THING.
Joe Putnam
Booster
leceta wrote:
The Json interface project could be a good oportunity to include commands related to Grasshopper communication, hopefully the could profit the work already done for this plugin.

Is this what you are referring to?

https://archicadapi.graphisoft.com/JSONInterfaceDocumentation/index.html#Introduction

I do find it sad that this is the method used for the python API instead of properly binding the API and exposing it as a python module. Would have been much more beneficial to the community as a whole to simply embed mono opening up Archicad to the rest of the AEC development world through c#......

I guess we (the community) could start a dotnet core library project that utilizes the json service once 24 comes out.
leceta
Expert
I agree with you, but we as a community, should also the potentials of those new tools.

First idea that came to my mind is to take some time to port all the JSON commands to c# and python libraries. This is not very different to have an API as we would like to have.

The possibility of a .net api has been shallowly commented... https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=55976#p266210
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who expressed your opinions.

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it into our WishList database (please refer to it as Wish #12779). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT