Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What do you think should be done to get Archicad a bigger market share ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I personally find ARCHICAD way more powerful, easy to use, faster and all in all innovative than other solutions like Revit. However since Revit is backed up by Autodesk and long years of Autocad dominance, ARCHICAD isn’t leading in terms of market share, what do you think GRAPHISOFT should do better? Do you think it’s enough for them to just push for a better product ? Or is there something else you would do ?
273 REPLIES 273
jl_lt
Ace
@Mr Brett brown

Your dissapoinment with the current state of affairs regarding Archicad developement is completely understandable given its slow pace vs the perceived faster developement of other software.

However, there seems to be a group of people that while worried, are also hopeful that things will get better. Archicad is still a wonderful software, and the good people here are venting their worries while also giving some positive ideas and generating much needed discussion.

Have most of these ideas been said before? Probably. But please, don't assume we are delusional enough as to think something can be changed. But what if it can?

I would urge you to contribute ideas in this thread, which given the amount of posts you have made, i'm sure they are plenty. Or maybe You have done it before and are tired of not being heard. In that case,please, allow us to continue.

A wall has been a wall since the dawn of time, while the best software in the world still can't create the next Villa Savoye by itself. Architects are still needed in the design process.

Continued repetition of ideas can actually make them happen.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear all,
if I look at all your endless posts, it seem - all of you have got a very good and especially time safing CAD/BIM software. ^^ hihiii
Brett wrote:
Just one example of a better solution is from the ex Archicad employees down the road in Budapest, Archline XP. Check out all the videos on Youtube and compare their toolset to Archicads. You will be surprised. A new version that enhances all these will be released very soon.

Revit, Vectorworks and even the latest version of Cheif Architect are all way ahead in usability and standard features than Archicad is now.
Based on your suggestion, I checked out Archline XP. It has one "global partner" in the U.S., Novedge in Berkeley. (Just a few miles away from me.) Interestingly, Novedge doesn't even have Archline listed on their website as a product they sell. So I don't think Graphisoft should be worried about U.S. competition from this product.

I've used Chief Architect for over 20 years, and have been a beta tester for each new version including the last, so I know it pretty well. While it's true that it does have some features that Graphisoft doesn't (such as decent cabinets), Chief Architect has nothing like the information management, flexibility in 3D modeling (shells, morphs, terrain, etc.), teamwork, ability to handle large models, referencing between views, etc. that Archicad has. Chief is great for simple residential projects, but I have pretty much dumped it for construction docs. I have great respect for Chief, but it's really not in the same league as GS.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Brett Brown
Advocate
Richard wrote:
Based on your suggestion, I checked out Archline XP. It has one "global partner" in the U.S., Novedge in Berkeley. (Just a few miles away from me.) Interestingly, Novedge doesn't even have Archline listed on their website as a product they sell. So I don't think Graphisoft should be worried about U.S. competition from this product.
Yes, unfortunately, they are woeful at marketing just like there colleagues down the road. I doubt they would be interested in the American market with Revit the main player. Every modelling tool in Archline XP is a lot more thought out and logical, and some are even automatic.
Richard wrote:
I've used Chief Architect for over 20 years, and have been a beta tester for each new version including the last, so I know it pretty well. While it's true that it does have some features that Graphisoft doesn't (such as decent cabinets), Chief Architect has nothing like the information management, flexibility in 3D modelling (shells, morphs, terrain, etc.), teamwork, ability to handle large models, referencing between views, etc. that Archicad has. Chief is great for simple residential projects, but I have pretty much dumped it for construction docs. I have great respect for Chief, but it's really not in the same league as GS.
I came fro CA 15 years ago and have watched it grow in that time. Assuming you are using both on the same project, love to know your work flow? What do you do in CA and then finish in AC?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
jl_lt
Ace
Ma_Scht wrote:
Dear all,
if I look at all your endless posts, it seem - all of you have got a very good and especially time safing CAD/BIM software. ^^ hihiii
We sure do! And with a few tweaks and adittions, some of which have been discussed here, it would become an almost unstoppable software.
bouhmidage
Advisor
7 days without any reply ! is that the calm before the storm ?
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
rob2218
Enthusiast
thank God!....this topic seems like it never ends and with LONG LONG diatribe responses.

Sheesh.....if GS would only adopt the Autodesk "Gorilla Marketing Tactic" this discussion would be a mute point.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Jp1138
Expert
A first step could be to just open the API to anyone, so a community can be built around the software. Right now is my understanding that it is half hidden behind a paywall
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
rob2218 wrote:
thank God!....this topic seems like it never ends and with LONG LONG diatribe responses.

Sheesh.....if GS would only adopt the Autodesk "Gorilla Marketing Tactic" this discussion would be a mute point.

Who's forcing you to read any of it?

And what can we do to help and to get them to stop being such jerks?

Blink twice to let us know to send over some help (like some marines or a SWAT team or something like that), and three times if you just want us to send over food and water.
rob2218
Enthusiast
that's always the classic response...."who is forcing you to (fill in the blank)".

it's never that.
its merely an observation that LONG-WINDED responses will get lost in translation and never sustain interest.
Just sayin'.

And not sure I understand about Marines and sending food? Strange response.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS