Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What sets ArchiCad9 apart from the rest?

Anonymous
Not applicable
In your own mind, why did you choose ArchiCad?

Or if you switched, why?
31 REPLIES 31
Eduardo Rolon
in no particular order:

Tired of coordinating AutoCAD dwgs and doing everything in flatspace.

Tired of Autodesk's forced upgrade schedule.

Decided I wanted to learn something new and since I teach Architecture I try to keep up to date.

The GS (3dcadco) rep was a person whom I could trust and kept helping in order to establish an AC course at the Univ were I teach.

Since I opened my one person office I decided to invest the time in using AC instead of hiring draftmen to work in Autocad ( more cost efficient) and to date I have not regreted the decision. I started using AC fully with R8 and thought it was the greatest thing and I am still surprised because of all the reports that it was so buggy, apparently I assumed that the problems were because of the user(ME) not the prog.

Revit was not an option since at the time it was too clunky + I didn't like the subscription model by Autodesk.

Finally I could buy a PowerBook and leave windows.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Durval
Booster
It was ten years ago...
Brazilian architects were starting to make the great move from drawing boards to CAD.
I tried AutoCAD a bit, but got very discouraged when I realized the tool was almost merely an electronic pen. I couldn't find a good point in abandoning my drafting skills, thoroughly built along the college years.
Besides, to use AutoCAD I would have to change from Mac to PC. The learning curve and investments would be even bigger.
Then I saw a presentation organized by the first GS brazilian reseller showing an incredible (and expensive!) software that was a real aid for design and 3d thinking, not only for drawing: ArchiCAD 4.1. And it was a Mac-only application!
I fell in love with it, borrowed some money from my dad and here I am.
Sometimes I think about change to PC, but never considered changing to another CAD.
--- www.dtabach.com.br ---
AC 24 BR – MacBook Pro 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM Mac OS 10.14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
Lets see,I was first introduced to Archicad ,at university,mix classes Builders and Architects students.Academics were preaching the new world order."Designed by architects for Architects"?and most lapped it up,But in the real world it has failed to reach critial mass.Many builders have tested and have owned at least one copy,Like me ,they've moved on, and wont upgrade, until major changes have been implemented, There are too many issues,that may never be resolved?the "Building Information Model " should have been "Building Information Data"? The divide between Architects and other has widened,Go Figure?
Good Luck
Anonymous
Not applicable
After Generic Cadd, AutoCad V9 et al, and a stab at Datacad and Arris's Builder's Cad, I was introduced to Archicad in 1994 ( v4.16) Even had a fling at Revit prior to the first shipping version. Let that subscription go when ADesk bought them. Been on Archicad on Macs and PCs for the whole time. Like it. Use it. Work primarily by myself on all kinds of projects from residences to industrial......Still is the most useable and functional program to gain the most thruput.

Lew Bishop
P42.8/768/nVidia to go 5600
AC9US
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keep them coming, good info so far.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cole_Construction wrote:
Cole,
You seem to be a relatively new user of ArchiCAD...please share with us why you "chose" or "switched" to it.

Thanks,
Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dan wrote:
Cole_Construction wrote:
Cole,
You seem to be a relatively new user of ArchiCAD...please share with us why you "chose" or "switched" to it.

Thanks,
Dan K
Well, I havent switched just yet, I am only running the demo.
__archiben
Booster
i was introduced to archiCAD (3.14 i think) at university by a very enthusiastic tutor, (no - not DNC ), and from his introductory lecture could immediately see the benefits and possibilities of 'building' with architecturally-orientated objects that had a degree of intelligence.

in practice, the biggest plus is co-ordination and no need for duplication - which kind of go hand-in-hand i guess, but both of which are the areas in which the time spent on output accrues and in which errors are more likely to be made . . .

good luck with your switch!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
My first introduction to computers was with AC 4.5 and Photoshop 3.0 at the university - they had just opened a brand new laboratory with Macs there and I didn't have my own computer then. Later I learned AutoCAD 14 because everyone in Bulgaria worked on AutoCAD and I was afraid I would not be able to find a job only with AC. Since then I use both AutoCAD and AC - AC is a much advanced and modern CAD application than AutoCAD though nowadays it lacks the free-form modelling capabilities of MAX, for example.

Two years ago I went to work in an office where I had to learn Allplan - I've heard it was good application and was very motivated but it turned out to be a great disappointment. Finally we made a "revolution" and the office switched to AC .