Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What sets ArchiCad9 apart from the rest?

Anonymous
Not applicable
In your own mind, why did you choose ArchiCad?

Or if you switched, why?
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable
My reasons are:

1) Autocad has actually stopped providing new tools for my work since Autocad2000
2) Autodesk forced upgrade policy.
3) Tried ADT (too artificial), Revit (has some great features but lacks intuition)

Things i like about AC:
a) Intuitive
b) Sound basic organization. Has great potential
c) Paremetric
d) Has calculation functions and prospects.

Things i dont like.

a) Basic stuff are not there, and that is bad for a project with so many years in work
b) No innovative features. This is a general problem with all CAD software. What was the latest breakthrough new feature in AC and when was it introduced? And saying breakthrough i mean tools that would change radically the way you work. For example the pushpull tool in sketchup is such a tool. Relationships in revit are. The BIM model in AC is.
Anonymous
Not applicable
After 14 years in FastCAD, then DataCAD (tried Softplan briefly), decided flatland had to go.

I wanted 3d for:

1. the information -- quick lists and schedules.
2. error reduction
3. quick sections and elevations
4. Renderings to eliminate my Artist - for Stockplans

Picked up AC in 2003. STILL not quite there yet, proficiency-wise. I am told over and over again of the training required which I don't object to but the amount and cost I am chewing on. Remember I am used to under $1k software that can be learned in a week..

Yes you can pick up AC quite quickly on a basic level, but to me productivity means profitability at $1/Sq. Ft. for the average 3500 Sq. Ft. South-Eastern US residence including materials lists and schedules with proper, presentable elevations without missing lines.. etc.

Going in for training tomorrow at my Reseller.. they'll be getting an earful though some of these are out of their hands.

So my eyes unfortunately still wander...

All this said, AC may turn to be the best BIM software there is. If so, then BIM is not living up to promise... sorry to go off topic a bit.
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Because it is FUN to work in ArchiCAD and I' think you'll find it hard to find an other community like this one.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rashid wrote:
Going in for training tomorrow at my Reseller.. they'll be getting an earful though some of these are out of their hands.

Rashid, I will be very interested to hear your thoughts again after training. You will be getting your training with one of the best trainers around!

Good Luck,
Woody
Rakela Raul
Participant
great topic..
will get back to it..and will include first 3d proj using ac..
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Rashid, I will be very interested to hear your thoughts again after training. You will be getting your training with one of the best trainers around!
Me too mate! And I agree, Angi is a very good trainer!

Cheers,
Link.
Vitruvius
Contributor
ArchiCAD only seems expensive if you ignore the additional drawing and coordination required to produce a design & documents using 2D drafting software.

It has obvious advantage of extracting documents from a 3D model (coordination & accuracy), designing with 3D models (comprehensive visualization for both designer & client), and productivity enhancements (Plotmaker, automatic reference numbering & schedules).

On a recently completed project, I have clients who were ecstatic at reviewing 3D views rather than more traditional 'technical' drawings such as interior elevations. And a contractor who said it was the best set of documents he'd ever seen.

All of that adds up to projects produced faster and with more accuracy. I'd estimate my productivity gains at about 20%.

Sure there is scope for improvement. But at least we're working with a product designed solely for architects - not a product adapted to architectural work.

Cheers, Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
Anonymous
Not applicable
Vitruvius wrote:

Sure there is scope for improvement. But at least we're working with a product designed solely for architects - not a product adapted to architectural work.

Cheers, Cameron
And That is one of the main issues,Try explaining to the client why no other building professional uses this program and there's no real collaboration thru DWG?
Good luck
Anonymous
Not applicable
BDC wrote:
Try explaining to the client why no other building professional uses this program and there's no real collaboration thru DWG?
As a reseller I was REALLY going to stay out of this one but... surely you jest?

woodster
Some quality time with the manual is in order BDC.

Round trip collaboration with AutoCAD shops is doable with Smart merge, X-REFS, etc.

I feel a 'flounce' coming on so will stop there.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1