Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Wish upon an Object from BIMcomponents.com

Levente Filetoth
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Archi-Talkers,

I guess I am preaching to the choir when saying that GDL is one of the core assets of ArchiCAD. To provide support for great GDL content to get created we launched BIMcomponents.com with ArchiCAD 16. In order to give some boost to the interest for the topic we decided to help deliver some long wished GDL objects that no-one has created as of yet.

Here we call upon a little contest: share your wish for an object that you cannot find in the standard ArchiCAD library and we will see to it that some of them get programmed and shared with all of you through the BIMcomponents.com portal.

The rules are very simple, just make a post with a concise description of what you think could be solved with the help of GDL and your award is that if your idea turns out to be interesting enough it will be programed by a professional GDL developer.

Please give us your ideas and let's see if we can create some extra value to the ArchiCAD community with the help of GDL.

Disclaimer: This promotional activity's goal is to find objects that are over the line of standard object development project, hence will never make it to the standard ArchiCAD library. Please use this thread to provide your input to this specific topic and please avoid raising issues related to the development of the standard ArchiCAD object libraries and/or to the development of the GDL technology in general. Thank you for your understanding.
Levente Filetoth
Architect, www.graphisoft.com
MacBook Pro 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.8.
ArchiCAD 4.5 - 19
93 REPLIES 93
Levente Filetoth
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Archi-Talkers,

Thank you very much for all your input >>> this is an amazing collection of great ideas on how we could push the limits of the intelligence of GDL (both here and over on our Facebook page).

The very first wish was submitted by Laszlo Nagy also backed by others about making the Modular Joinery object available to all ArchiCAD users. The good news is that with the help of BIMcomponents.com the Modular Joinery object created by Ralph Wessel has been made available to all ArchiCAD 16 users with active SSA. Please launch ArchiCAD 16 and search for Modular Joinery in the object settings dialog (note: SSA only objects are exclusively available via ArchiCAD, using an SSA-enabled dongle).

Next to this "easy" wish we also tried to select ones to actually have developed where GDL could shine by amending existing solutions in ArchiCAD.

The first such object is a simple one now readily and available on ManuBIM's profile page on BIMcomponents.com (https://bimcomponents.com/Profile/875490).

As wished by the user Zeropoint reference this is a stationary dimension line that works as if it was a line (graphically editable nodes, multi-story display etc.) but looks like a standard dimension. Please check this one out and leave your feedback on BIMcomponents.com next to the objects (we have 2 versions one with metric and another one with imperial defaults).

We've already started working on the wish from Facebook below, so please prepare for more to come. Certainly, please let us know if you have anything new on your mind for some future objects!

Richard Rinehart
How about a 3d ceiling object where lights, diffusers, sprinkler heads, etc can be very quickly and easily edited and would include a number of ceiling types, perhaps to match what is available from companies like Armstrong... July 31 at 12:42am

Thank you all -- GDL rocks!!!
Levente Filetoth
ArchiCAD 4.5 - 19
Eduardo Rolon
Not working for me. The key is not recognized.
Screen Shot 2012-09-07 at 7.17.51 AM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Levente Filetoth
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Dear Eduardo!

According to our database you don't have SSA subscription, please send me the number of your ArchiCAD dongle and I get some more info about your license.

Please also let me know what language version of ArchiCAD do you use, and what was the object you've tried to download.

Best Regards,
levente
ejrolon wrote:
Not working for me. The key is not recognized.
Levente Filetoth
ArchiCAD 4.5 - 19
Fra
Booster
Also for me not working ....
I've subscription with Cigraph

Francesco
AC25 AC26 (Ita)

Mac Studio M1 Max 64 GB - OSX 12.4
Eduardo Rolon
Sent PM.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

JaredBanks
Mentor
Levente,

Thank you! So glad to see the Modular Joinery Object open to all (subscription) users. And I can't wait for the next object. I'm also glad to see that ManuBIM is the creator of the dimension object. They create BEAUTIFUL objects. For anyone not familiar with ManuBIM, they wrote a guest post for me earlier this summer talking about what they do: http://www.shoegnome.com/?p=803&preview=true

True GDL masters.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
Levente wrote:
Dear Archi-Talkers,

..... The good news is that with the help of BIMcomponents.com the Modular Joinery object created by Ralph Wessel has been made available to all ArchiCAD 16 users with active SSA. Please launch ArchiCAD 16 and search for Modular Joinery in the object settings dialog (note: SSA only objects are exclusively available via ArchiCAD, using an SSA-enabled dongle)......

Thank you all -- GDL rocks!!!
Hi Levente
Attached is what I get when I try the above.
Get the same if I type Modular Joinery Object or
MJO.
And I've been on Subscription for 5 years
Can you please explain what I may be doing wrong?
Thanks
lec
SearchMJO.png
Eduardo Rolon
Lec,

You have to do the search within the Door or Window tool. Since MJO works as either one not as an object.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Lec,

You have to do the search within the Door or Window tool. Since MJO works as either one not as an object.
Hi eduardo
DUH! on my part!
Thanks, but,
does not work.
See attached.
Did you get your subscription to finally work, and if so, how?
Eduardo Rolon
Lev had to look into it and fix from his side.
As a note when I checked this years receipt for the SSA it said that I was paid up until Aprl 2012 which might be a problem with GSUS.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator