BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Workspace "with viewports"?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello:

Can archicad work like 3dmax?, (where u can divide the screen in parts to show realtime changes in floorplan, elevation and 3d at the same time, not having the need to be switching views).

Thanks!.
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Unfortunately, no. You can unmaximize the various Windows, like Floor Plan Window, Section Windows, etc. but changes will not be updated in each with each modification. A Window is updated in ARCHICAD only when you activate it so you would always have to click to make it the active Window and see it update.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it something that is on a wishlist? I would suspect it would generate quite a lot of positive responses! I often get frustrated having to flick between a 2D drawing and the 3D model to see how one reacts to the other.

It would be fantastic if there was an option that they could be viewed simultaneously and updated in real time. Yes - it would probably slow the processes, but if this Workspace was a feature that could be turned off then it would not be too disruptive.

It seems that when ARCHICAD can produce both 2D drawings and the 3D model simultaneously it seems lacking that they cannot be viewed simultaneously.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't really know.
You could make a wish and post its link here.
Then I could submit the wish to GRAPHISOFT if it get high enough support.
As far as I'm concerned, this wish would be an "Essential".
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
The updates are a little slower than live, but they can be automatic and they are pretty fast. Multiple monitors helps to compensate for the jumping around so much to see what you want.
2017-09-20_14-38-53.png

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow!! I never knew this existed. thank you!
I tested it out between a 2D plan and the 3D view. I noticed that in 3D the update only occurs when I make that 3D window active. Is this the case?
Barry Kelly
benjamin_chan wrote:
Wow!! I never knew this existed. thank you!
I tested it out between a 2D plan and the 3D view. I noticed that in 3D the update only occurs when I make that 3D window active. Is this the case?
Yes you must activate the window for it to update.
If you are using the TAB bar (version 20 onwards) then any changes you make in one view will process in the background for the other open tabs, so when you switch to them the update should be instant (or very quick).
This is so long as you haven't changed the 'Model Rebuild Options' in the work Environment.

The whole idea of the tab bar is that you can have your views and layouts open and maximised but still be able to switch to them quickly and easily.
So no need to minimise the windows and spread them all across the screen and work in small areas - unless you have a lot of screen real estate.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I cant see how to max. or min. the windows of viewa other than the 3d window. Can you tell me how this is done to achieve a multiple layout like the image in steves post. Thanks
Barry Kelly
jwestover wrote:
I cant see how to max. or min. the windows of viewa other than the 3d window. Can you tell me how this is done to achieve a multiple layout like the image in steves post. Thanks
If you are on a Windows machine then see the red arrows in Steve's image.
Press that and you can manually resize the windows.
I assume there is something similar for a Mac.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!