Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

a Fill that Behaves like a Line

I am looking to find an object fill motif that will simulate the behaviour of a line laid over a wall. I would like to create a Graphic Override to create Compliance Plans that show the fire Ratings of Assemblies. We’ve been drawing polylines over the walls to show their different required Fire Resistance Ratings, but this requires an additional layer and another set of graphic elements to manage.

I can’t use colour alone because our drawings are printed in Greyscale.

Attached is an illustration of what I’m trying to achieve.

Is it possible to create a fill motif that does this?

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 4.56.05 PM.png
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
11 REPLIES 11
I need something like this too. Sometimes I can get buy with a wall .001" tall. and a transparent background with a fill pattern. However, I can't always draw the kind of wide line I would like to make this way.

I have even made some special surfaces for the wall but I still don't have the solution I would like.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Barry Kelly
Just thinking out loud here - I haven't tried this.

If your composite wall (won't work for simple walls) had a skin separator line in the centre then you could apply a symbolic line for the pattern you want to that separator line.
The question is can you then set up a graphic override to change just that centre skin separator?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had previously had success using the same method as Barry suggested but did not have a graphic override as I am happy for the fire rating to show on all plans

Scott
I'm happy and grateful for the responses so far, but most of the walls that are rated have either a stud track or are made of concrete and masonry so they don't have a skin line that I could use.

I will try an experiment and split a masonry block in two (judo chop!) to see if that would work.

The question about symbol fills and motifs remains, though. The "fit to skin" option is a great thing, but the switch to turn it on reside solely at theBuilding Materials dialog box. We need to be able to activate it elsewhere in the program.

If anyone else has suggestions, they're all welcome. I think we could do a lot of things with fills and Gas if we could solve this.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
squall_tmo
Booster
I hope I understood your question, anyway once you use Barry's Method (composite on a wall) you Just need to explode that wall in the current view (Edit>Modify>Explode into the current view), because if I don't go wrong it is the only way to place a fill with radial deformation!
Looking to give this post a bump. I'm still trying to create Symbol Fills that behave like lines that I can apply to Composite walls by means of a Graphic Override. The first post in this thread still holds. Even after 3.5 years. LOL.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Podolsky
Ace
Barry Kelly
There seems to be a few posts tackling this problem / linking to this post at the moment.
So I will add what I think could be a solution here.
Apologies if it has been discussed or disregarded in another post.

If what you are looking to do is add a specific line type to the center of a wall, why not create a wall accessory object that will do this.
It will work for both straight and curved walls.
It will have its own layer so you can turn it on and off easily enough.
If the walls have some sort of fire rating description in their name or ID (or maybe a property), it might be possible to automate the line type as well based on that.
If not you could manually choose the line type in the accessory object settings.

Of course you will have to create the accessory object - I am not aware of one floating around out there - but there might be.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Podolsky
Ace
Barry,
The problem with creating 2D symbol from wall accessory is obvious - it cannot read property defined in the wall. That means you need to set fire-rated value for the symbol itself (and separately for the wall).That is already sucks - it terms of automation of the workflow. Also with wall accessory you cannot select all walls at one and with one click place wall accessories there - you need to go through each wall and - click-click-click... And at the end - wall accessory is optional function of ArchiCAD - with additional download. If some user don't have it - he must download, close ArchiCAD, install and open ArchiCAD again. Why to do that if you can use label - that solves most of these problems? By the way, seems I've found some 'hack' how to get label following wall curvature, that will work at least in default options. Just need to concentrate and write a formula.

Have you tried the label I uploaded? Script is short, use of it is very simple and it really works and gives exactly what needed.