Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

gable trims

Anonymous
Not applicable
Probably the most basic of questions but anywho…

Trying to make up some simple gable finishes... in cad would be simple as extruding a poly line and cutting holes in it and rotating it up vertically, done in all of a minute or two… so im trying to take a similar route with a slab…. 20mm thick, cut some holes in it and go to rotate it from horizontal to vertical… and im stuck…..??

Can it be rotated that way?? If so how? If not how do make something so simple with out spending to much time on it.

i feel dumb for even asking, cos im sure its quite simple.

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is plugins you can buy that will do things like this for you.

But another way is to mark your slab, open only this object it in 3d window parallellview. Rotate your camera so you look at your object from the point where you look at it from 'above'. Then save it as a GDL object.

Then this GDL object should be rotated.

Good luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable
GeNOS wrote:
Probably the most basic of questions but anywho…

Trying to make up some simple gable finishes... in cad would be simple as extruding a poly line and cutting holes in it and rotating it up vertically, done in all of a minute or two… so im trying to take a similar route with a slab…. 20mm thick, cut some holes in it and go to rotate it from horizontal to vertical… and im stuck…..??

Can it be rotated that way?? If so how? If not how do make something so simple with out spending to much time on it.

i feel dumb for even asking, cos im sure its quite simple.

there are many way to do that, i would do that with

TRUSSMAKER (design-design extreas-trussmake)

COMPLEX PROFILES

My sug. is to learn to use complex profiles

u can do this in one minute and u can easily edit it anytime u want,

Type COMPLEX in search of archicad help.

If u dont know how to do this, write a post and i will make for u quick tutorial.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't recommend using Trussmaker also.
I have created various types of truss with the 2D profile editor.
The easiest way is to link to the beam tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Doh, I would also recommend complex profiler tool. My brain was locked into your problems with rotating object.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
GeNOS wrote:
...in cad would be simple as extruding a poly line and cutting holes in it and rotating it up vertically, done in all of a minute or two… so im trying to take a similar route with a slab…. 20mm thick, cut some holes in it and go to rotate it from horizontal to vertical… and im stuck…..??
Can it be rotated that way?? If so how?
You can do exactly what you've described with OBJECTiVE. It will allow you to create custom profiles and rotate them to any angle you please (or cut and bend to suit specific situations). For more info, take a look at: http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Ralph Wessel BArch
jbArch
Newcomer
I have always done this the way that TurboGlider suggests.... the mental hurdle is figuring out that library parts have to be placed in plan view (hence saved from the "top"), but if you want to use traditional AC tools then you have to create it as a slab as if it were an elevation view, and then view it in 3d to create the object. All in all it takes about 1-2 minutes like you hoped once you get the hang of it. This thread describes it pretty well... just scroll down to the posts by Steve Jepson:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=14887&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

But I like Joeri's method even better... I had never thought of it! Seems much easier if you need to edit it later since you can just open the profile editor and tweak the size.
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
Dwight
Newcomer
NeckoFromSarajevo wrote:

If u dont know how to do this, write a post and i will make for u quick tutorial.
Forum members might also see the Archicad Wiki for a comprehensive article on the topic, including the use of Complex Profile for decorative rafter tails.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
jbArch wrote:
... I had never thought of it! Seems much easier if you need to edit it later since you can just open the profile editor and tweak the size.
To expand : this method is mainly used for quick study / representation of the global structure or calculation purposes if you like.
It's always usefull for industrial truss fabrication (with steel connection plate or similar).

Concerning traditional wooden junctions or real-life visualisation I personally prefer the method of multiple slabs and save as an object...

Both methods are worth trying.

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks everyone.. iv tried both ways..

firstly, i did the slab, opened it in 3d, rotated it to view from the top. went to save it as a GDL... but dunno how to save as a GDL???
i would preffer to do it this way over the complex profile (untill i buy objective )

second was the complex profiles.. which i have done a few times before for my footings, but again drawing a blank.. i get to this point (in the attachment bellow) and dont remember how to save it so i can then use it in my wall tool???

i liek the trussmaker one is that a add on?

"objective" looks like something im gonna need(will deffinatly want) to buy ...