BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

prefer roof pitch instead of angle

Jefferson
Participant
Wondering if there's a way to change the default display of roof angle in display box to roof pitch.........can't seem to locate a way
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think there is any way to do that in the info palette. I always open the settings dialog for that. After a bit I always end up remembering the decimal values for the primary pitches on the project.
Jefferson
Participant
I was hoping to save some steps and take advantage of my computers memory rather than rely on mine..........tad more reliable I'm afraid

I feared that this wasn't an option with AC but thought perhaps someone had solved this riddle by now.........the "commit it to memory" gets old especially when you're working through initial design and deciding which roof pitch, or pitches work best.
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Anonymous
Not applicable
A roof tag (label) could be made to do it.

It could be as simple as creating a custom label with two lines in the 2D script:
slope_in_12 = TAN(ROOF_ANGLE)*12
Text2 0, 0, slope_in_12 + ":12"
Of course this will only give a decimal and not feet and fractional inches (that's too much to sort out off the top of my head) and you'd probably want to add define and set style statements to get the font size you want.
Jefferson
Participant
yes, that's a thought but essentially I'm just after instant information, [info box]. I can be looking simultaneously at multiple schematic models, where just selecting a roof in 3D window clarifies a 3/12 from a 2/12 and so on........by the time I'm documenting the pitch is memorized, even by me
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Stress Co_
Advisor
Jefferson wrote:
Wondering if there's a way to change the default display of roof angle in display box to roof pitch
I second the motion.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress wrote:
Jefferson wrote:
Wondering if there's a way to change the default display of roof angle in display box to roof pitch
I second the motion.
While we're at it how about being able to set the relative elevation in the info palette to home story, or sea level, etc? I would like to be able to select a ceiling on the 5th floor and know it's height above the floor rather than above project zero. For now I set the user origin and check the z coordinate but this is rather fussy compared to just selecting the ceiling and reading the height.
Barry Kelly
I would just like to be able to input degrees and minutes rather than decimal degrees.
All the other inputs change with the working unit preferences but not the roof pitch.

And don't mention that you can't use the roof pitch as an output field in the interactive schedules.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my country we use % for roof slope, which is actually a fractional presentation. For example 30%=30/100, which is quite easier for the builders to understand (hopefully!) then degrees of minutes and seconds.
Jefferson
Participant
Yup! Once again a series of requests for the option of information input-output that relates to how we, and the construction industry, work rather than how the computer works..........novel concept

Perhaps by version 16, which coincidentally may be the next time there's funding for an upgrade.
jeff white
w3d design

Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

Learn and get certified!