BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

question for archicad users using the mac..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Kevin wrote:
You can find the plus-minus sign (as well as lots of other symbols) in Windows Character Map under Start menu>accessories>system tools. Using arial font, its about six rows down and in the middle. Cut & paste into your application text.

Alternatively hold down alt and typing 0177 on your keypad to the right of the keyboard.

This may be different for macs - you'll need to ask someone else for that.

Cheers
where can i find the "character map" for the mac so that i can also insert plus-minus signs and other symbols in archicad in a mac environment? thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure where to find the character map, but to get a plus/minus symbol type shift/option/+. This works in most all mac fonts.
__archiben
Booster
there are several ways of pulling up the character map - but all really associated with cocoa applications. you can, however find the font/symbol/character from them in order to type into non-cocoa apps.
  • use 'font book' (OSX 10.3.x only) - it can be found in ./Applications/
    from this you can manage and see samples of all of the fonts on your machine.
  • put the 'character palette' in your menu bar
    go into "System Preferences" and click the 'International' tab. under this you have the option to enable different keyboard mappings by country. there is also the option within the languages list to turn on the 'character palette'. it will then appear in your menu bar over on the right hand side.
  • use any cocoa app and hit Cmd-T
    open any cocoa application - TextEdit will do - and hit Cmd-T. this pulls up the system-wide font palette used by all cocoa apps. there is a button near the bottom (possibly the 'action' button - cog wheel - i'm not sure from memory) that also pulls up the character palette.
when are we going to get a cocoa archiCAD that taps into all these free system services graphisoft???

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Brad Elliott
Booster
Also, if you are in AC9 and starting a text block in the new pop up menu you will see an Insert Symbol button. It has all the symbols available.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
Learn and get certified!