Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

showing roof eaves lines and the lower part of hip lines

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aloha,
I want to show the roof eave line and a bit of the lower part of the hip and valley lines as dashed lines on my floor and framing plans.
ArchiCAD can easily show a dashed line for all of the roof lines (eaves, hips, valleys and ridges) for roofs above (or below) a story.
I am wondering if there is a way to show just the lower portion of the roof eaves, hips and valleys (as dashed lines) lines on a plan.
Is there some way, such as the Floor Plan Cut Plane, to show just the lower part of a roof on a story above the Floor Plan.
If not, I think there should be a feature or setting to show this.
Thank you,
John

I had asked this in another thread but was encouraged to keep each question or request for a feature/improvement in individual threads.
12 REPLIES 12
To be clear about your question we need to know if your are talking about how to show that in Layout (the prints) or how to see that while your working on the model. I assume you mean in Layout.

In Layout you can assemble many views into the same drawing so virtually any thing you want to see is possible. It's just a mater of draging the views you have made to show what you want into the drawing and perhaps making one view display on top of the other.

If I understand what your asking about, we can already do that.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can't show the 'lower' part of the roof even if the roof is above the cuttingplane. It will always display the lines that you are seen if you are above the roof.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
To be clear about your question we need to know if your are talking about how to show that in Layout (the prints) or how to see that while your working on the model. I assume you mean in Layout.

In Layout you can assemble many views into the same drawing so virtually any thing you want to see is possible. It's just a mater of draging the views you have made to show what you want into the drawing and perhaps making one view display on top of the other.

If I understand what your asking about, we can already do that.
Aloha Steve,
I am primarily interested in showing the roof lines that I described in the printed version so the idea of layering views does work for me. It will take a little getting used to because I will not be able to see the final "printed" version of the drawing until all of the views are compiled in the layout. It is more complex than being able to look at the final version of my drawings while I am creating the drawings but it does work. I'll give it a try.
Thank you,
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
We can now (in AC15) have materials of edges set individually on roof and slab elements, why not be able to turn display of lines on and off per edge as well? Obviously turning all edges off could be a problem, but a warning if this was to happen, or "display only" (non-printing) edges would be helpful. Then, for a solution to your request John, you could add a node part way up your hip / valley, and turn the upper part of the line off.

This might be better in the wishes section of the forum.
I am always able to see what I want when I want to see it and I think you can too. It's just a matter of where you model things and what you use to model them with.
Perhaps the view your after would work better if you don't model the roof or the roof framing on a different story than the walls. You can model things on one story and have them display on another.

something like this ?
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com//files/first_floor_framing_plan_112.pdf
display settings.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
I am always able to see what I want when I want to see it and I think you can too. It's just a matter of where you model things and what you use to model them with.
Perhaps the view your after would work better if you don't model the roof or the roof framing on a different story than the walls. You can model things on one story and have them display on another.

something like this ?
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com//files/first_floor_framing_plan_112.pdf
Aloha Steve,
I like what you said about what we can see and assuming the other person can see it too. Sorry to everyone for not posting a sketch of what I want sooner.
What I am trying to accomplish is an old pencil drafting standard way of showing the roof line above the floor plan. This way you can see where the eaves, hips and valley's are without the lines for the rest of the roof interfering with the layout of the floor plan.
The hip and valley lines just cross inside the corners of the exterior walls so you know what is going on above. It is an easy way to distinguished between a gable roof and a hip roof without looking at the roof plan.
It sort of looks like my sketch only neater.
Is there any way to accomplish this in ArchiCAD in one view without using polylines to represent the roof lines?
I am going to try the layered view technique to see how easy that is to use.
Mahalo,
John
roof lines.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
.... why not be able to turn display of lines on and off per edge as well? Obviously turning all edges off could be a problem, but a warning if this was to happen, or "display only" (non-printing) edges would be helpful. Then, for a solution to your request John, you could add a node part way up your hip / valley, and turn the upper part of the line off.
The per edge mentioned above, would be a GREAT and welcomed simplicity for me in my structural views that have roofs turned on.
I'm assuming this is still the unfortunate situation in 15, (as I've yet to load it).
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I agree that this would be useful for a future enhancement and will forward it to our development team for consideration. For now though you can achieve what John has sketched very easily by using a fill and playing with the display order of items. See below. I have a fill that masks the roof in the center. In display order the Slab is at bottom, up next are walls, then roof, then fill. In my example I placed a cover fill over the slab and then matched the properties in the Fill covering the roof. As new elements and objects are placed inside the floorplan they will remain on top of the fill if display order is correctly managed.
Roof Custom Plan Display.png
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cover fill has been how I've been managing it, but it gets pinched in a
"roof-to-wall" situation, (second story wall meets first story roof).
This is because the structural lines of the second story wall are so close to the roof edge lines on the roof framing plan that my engineer says this is confusing and wants it cleaned up for clarity.
And thanks for passing individual roof edge control request to developers.
lec