BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

tapered column

Anonymous
Not applicable
how do i create a square tapered column on all 4 sides. base 6' and top 2'.

help?

ac7
11 REPLIES 11
Vitruvius
Contributor
If you're using AC 8.1 I can eMail you a tapered column. It won't work with earlier versions.

Cheers, Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur
lsid wrote:

help?

ac7
You can use roofs if you want to. Mesh tool will work well too.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I found meshes to be the easiest but you do get problems if you need one edge vertical.... meshes don't like to put points on top of one another, thats where SOE is great, you can subtract a slab or wall out of it.
The reason I go with meshes is they are easier to edit. Before with AC 7.1 (and before I could work meshes) I would leave my cutting roofs on a layer called templates in case I needed to change the column but thats pretty laborious, you'd have to untrim the object and retrim to suit.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can build it with thick walls, create some roofs on a hidden layer and trim the walls to these roofs. This allows you to control the column height more accurately than using roofs alone. Once you jump to 8.1 solid element operations open up some other possibilities.
Djordje
Ace
lsid wrote:
Horizontal roof with the edge angle set to the right value (calculate it from the base size difference and the height) is the best bet.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks so much for your help. I have used mesh tool . I drew 2 squares and set the outer square Z to 0 and the inner square Z to the height. here is what I got.....
Erika Epstein
Booster
1. In section "13 special construction" use the "cone" in "basic shapes"
2. under 3D representation set REsolution to 4 [ shows the resolution of a circle as one with 4 facets).
3. set bottom circle radius to 1/2 the length of one side
4. set top of circle radius to 1/2 the lenght of the top's side
5. Under "structural dimensions use "cone length on center " to set height.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, I see this is an old topic, however with AC23 we can now taper columns and beams within the default settings. I have just used it for the first time and I cannot find a way to taper all 4 sides, whether symmetrically or not, it only tapers 3 out of the 4 sides. It seems an odd 'feature' which doesn't allow to control how the element tapers. Is there a way to achieve this that someone knows?
Barry Kelly
Is your column reference axis line in the center of the column?

Barry
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!