GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.
SOLVED!

Curved Segment using GDL Primitive Elements

Nader Belal
Mentor

Hi everyone,

Can someone explain me how to create curved arcs and surfaces using VERT, VERT{2}, TEVE, EDGE, & PGON ??

I tried searching for an example to follow, but I couldn't find any.

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Nader Belal
Mentor

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your implication and help

Second, I would like to apologize if my question/post meant something different than what I was truly trying to ask for .... sometimes my mind races my hands and eyes, and I simple forget that there're steps I must go through to make myself clear for other people.

Third, as I have promised to the members here, I have finished writing the article. Feel free to comment on it, and hope it help you all
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/archicads-gdl-primitive-elements-untold-examples-nader-belal/?trackin...

Happy coding

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
runxel
Legend

I don't think that is possible.

How do you got the idea it could be done? With those commands you basically model single polygons. And polygons can never be bend...

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Well I just have found out how ... you can, but it a time consuming process 

Just give me a shout for tomorrow or after tomorrow and I will give you the steps to do it

Curious as to why you would want to use the primitives?

Because sometimes, and depending of the elements' complexity/resource usage, it can be more cost effective to just model the desired element using Primitives.

In my actual case, since GDL lacks morphing or mapping (don't know the correct term) a regular cubic model to a similar curvilinear shape, and scripting that will be more be more time consuming with lower quality result.

That besides, the god damned standard GDL manual doesn't have an example for that.

Curious, what are you modeling?

Curved cabinet door panel

I just use tubes and map the surface around the segments I guess I felt like primitives would be more work.

Usually I would do that, but the overhead is unacceptable

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!