GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

GDL Syntax Highlight for VSCode

Miha Nahtigal
Advocate
I've just published a VSCode Extension for GDL highlighting (it's free). It is a first release so it is a bit rough. I'll try to update it regularly.

You can download it from VSCode marketplace or install it directly from VSCode->Extensions (search for GDL).
45 REPLIES 45
DGSketcher
Legend

@Peter Baksa Six months is a long time in software development; is there any change in GS policy direction with regards internal scripting either being deprecated or possibly upgraded?

As has been mentioned by others, I also would be reluctant to take my scripting outside Archicad, as my primary objects are closely tied with CALL functions and MVO values. How do you check these things are communicating correctly if you don't have access to those values?

The saving process from VSCode and testing in AC would need to be seamless if this is the way forward. Personally, I think the AC GDL interface could be significantly improved with a few cosmetic changes and save us all the grief of trying to adopt & understand the VSCode workflow.

The goal of GDL was a simple language like BASIC that could be adopted & understood by many.

GS investing time in VSCode is just a distraction from the core library part development tool which is needed by many to create unique solutions in AC to their particular problems. Would it really be that difficult to refresh the AC GDL user interface with line numbers, syntax highlighting etc?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
zcgt21
Contributor

Thanks

There is some progress about this, GS treats the upgrade of the GDL editor with high priority among planned features.

In its current form it suits beginners and the vscode extension is targeted for handling large libraries, the segment between the two needs the best of both.

Internal scripting will definitely stay, the project environment is very important for testing the scripts (attributes, labeled objects, model information...)

Péter Baksa
Software Engineer, Library as a Platform
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

Great! Will the new improved GDL editor be in AC 26? 27?

AC 26 5002 CHI, Windows 10

@Peter Baksa wrote:

There is some progress about this, GS treats the upgrade of the GDL editor with high priority among planned features.

In its current form it suits beginners and the vscode extension is targeted for handling large libraries, the segment between the two needs the best of both.

Internal scripting will definitely stay, the project environment is very important for testing the scripts (attributes, labeled objects, model information...)

Thank you Peter, this is reassuring news!

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Not in AC26, please ask again in six months if it will make it into AC27.

Péter Baksa
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

Hello @Peter Baksa ,
I was reading this thread and stumbled upon your message. Any news about a GDL editor update for AC27 ? 🙂

Hi,

development is almost ready, it is very probable that it will be in the next version.

Péter Baksa
Graphisoft SE, Budapest

Cool!

AC 26 5002 CHI, Windows 10
_c_
Enthusiast

Hello,

do I gather that can we expect soon a direct communication between Visual Studio Code and Archicad? This is very good, I began learning GDL and was shocked to read that there is no communication between the Editor and AC. What is that good for?

I come from Vectorworks development (Pascal, Python). There you can just use any editor and test your objects while scripting. The communication between script files and AC is seamless. Moreover, the include system is fully developed both in Pascal and in Python. This allows a great efficiency and flexibiltiy in your development.

For this reason nobody wants to use the internal editor any longer (which has been modernised recently from the '80s).

_c_

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!