GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Is there a tool / object for making a mesh with a specified thickness?

gedzior84
Booster
Hello.

As in the topic, I wanted to ask you guys if there exists any tool that would allow me to create a mesh with a specified thickness, or layers?
For example, I have a terrain to model, but the ground has layers: 3cm of grass, 10cm of ground and some other layers. The terrain is not flat - it has some holes and bumps. Is it possible to create this with one tool/object, not using layered slabs, roofs and shell?
51 REPLIES 51
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not a tool as such but you could do all the modelling with the mesh tool to get top surface and then use the mesh to roof add-on to create roofs which can then be turned to composites with your required structure (eg 40mm turf, 150mm sandy loam, 50mm irrigation, soil). The roofs are not linked to the mesh, so they do not updated if you update the mesh but is is pretty simple to just run the mesh to roof tool again

Regards
Scott
gedzior84
Booster
Oh, I didn't know about the existence of this add-on. Thank you, I will surely try it.
Does anyone know other solutions?
Piotr
Contributor
I made similar shape with shell tool in my project some time ago.
Anonymous
Not applicable
gedzior84 wrote:
For example, I have a terrain to model, but the ground has layers: 3cm of grass, 10cm of ground and some other layers. The terrain is not flat - it has some holes and bumps. Is it possible to create this with one tool/object, not using layered slabs, roofs and shell?
Try this object I've recently created.
It can add 6 skins from a Mesh saved as an object. If you need more tell me.
The skins are not really composites, as they are just offset of the original mesh object. But the result is pretty acceptable IMO.
gedzior84
Booster
Oh wow, that seems to work pretty good!
It's amazing how many things can be made with your object!

Thank you very much - it's a lifesaver
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am glad it helped. Enjoy it!
BTW: As a tip, regarding irregular mesh shapes, I suggest you to place a 2d hotspot on a mesh node and save it with the mesh too. This way you can precisely place the object on top of your original mesh.
Cheers,
vistasp
Advisor
Holy Moly! That looks fantastic, Paulo.

Thanks so much!
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
You are very welcome Vistasp!
Let me know if you find any glitch on the code.
If it gets stable I will put it on BIM Components.
Cheers,
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also added the option to show the original 3d Mesh.
To avoid one more SEO on the project file.