GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Simple stylish 3d tree object?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

Hi, what would be the best geometry to program a simple 3D tree kind of  the examples in attach?

I'm looking for something with parameters that I can randomize to get a slightly new geometry for each instance.

Br,

Mats

2022-12-12_20-24-23.png
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
16 REPLIES 16
Jim Allen
Expert

Here is the link to a pln file with an initial object and the raw geometry.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hj8YViCwINr2RhPDI02FS3ufWTt6E_Mc/view?usp=share_link

Mats is looking at making some objects over Christmas.

His wife will be happy...

Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor

I looked at the code but didn't understand it. Instead I played with another concept... Treetime . Needs a few more tweaks.

EDIT. I tweaked a bit https://youtu.be/kZG4XRIMGXE ... I skipped gym. This was more fun.  Doing progress but still looking lollypoppish... got the rgb but will probably use a handful of chosen rgb's not to be surprised by ugly colors....didn't get masking out contours (when they are checked in 3D styles).

2022-12-15_19-22-49.png

AC 25 SWE Full

treetime.png

AC 25 SWE Full

The massivator is cool. I've tried it. I think I'm close in something further dow in this thread.

AC 25 SWE Full

Hi Miha :). That object looks interesting. Mind sharing it? We should have the same libs as germany but obviously not... /Mats

AC 25 SWE Full

I was on the same search a while back as I lacked a suitable low poly tree/hedge object for site models / scale reference. I'm currently getting by using the in AC simplified geometry from Escape assets (example here) which lacks parametricity.

I came across this app from Dr. Andrew Marsh which is truly awesome with an effective and intuitive approach to geometry generation. Unfortunately it is provided under a non-commercial license, and I haven't been able to get in contact regarding possible commercial use.

Andrew Marsh builds some fantastic tools, but his complex trees will be too heavy in terms of polygon count, and you can get better results from something like NGPlant. I've built lots of realistic plants with that, but poly count is an issue.

His simple trees might be ideal though.

Archicad 27 UKI | OS X 12.7.1 Monterey

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!