Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

3d Documents lighting, presentation discussion

Anonymous
Not applicable
We’re looking at how we present our ideas in the best light to our clients. But we are zealous BIM makers. So exporting a model for rendering purposes is sacrilegious if it doesn’t contribute to construction documentation further down the road.

Attached is an example of a presentation 3d document:

Graphic overrides tell Materials are be white unless they are known. 3d Doc setting show surfaces non-shaded. And here’s the rub. It’s visually flat. It would be great if I could use a shaded view, but for interiors, every white surface turns uniformly gray. “Why is it so darK?" Is inevitably asked. Omitting the ceiling/roof lets more light in, but misrepresents the space. This is not an issue for exterior views.

So here’s the question: is there a way of illuminating 3d documents?

Eons ago, we made photoshop mash-ups between archicad renders, blending transparnency of a kohinoor style with a light works/cinerender image, this balance showed the desired level of fuzziness and light, so items that might not be perfectly worked out didn’t standout (talk about misrepresentation!).

The latest rendering offering, Twinmotion is basically an entourager. Nice to place trees, but can't send them back to the archicad model for a landscape plan. Similarly, surface refinements made TM stay in TM. (Please correct me? I only played with it briefly, since the iMac I’m using at home during Covid insn’t powerful enough to properly run it.) The images looks slick, but that’s a drawback: if it’s not perfect, slick looks macabre. We’ve been happier with presentation output that feels more like colored pencil on yellow trace. What have we been missing?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't believe no one replied to this!

I've spent the last week focusing on TM, and my questions remain. But I'll make them more pointed here:

Can materials made/tweaked in TM be sent back to Archicad?
Can vectorial hatches on surfaces (which work OK in 3d docs) be exported to TM?
Can landscape items placed in TM be exported as a plan?

Here's current progress. Some things are still being worked out.
Lingwisyer
Guru
As far as I know, there is no way to export out from Twinmotion. Maybe check out the UE or TM forums in regards to that.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Jono
Contributor

Dear Anon-y-mous

Loved reading the way you write and your descriptions of Tm as "entourager" and "slick looks macabre" were beautiful descriptions. They resonated with me.

Would love to know more about your discoveries since, some 2-3 years later. I too prefer an artists impression over a photo-render (and these phrases too are not my favourite descriptor for these) but would also like the in-app option for ArchiCAD and not have to break workflow going 'forth' with TM or other and not having a 'back' to ArchiCAD for specific things like documentation like you say. Your later two images looked a bit like Sketchup actually. 

Anyways, if you're still here, please reply or otherwise get in touch. 

Architect - South Africa

macOS Big Sur
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
*Processor 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core 17
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHZ DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB

All Anonymous users are users that were registered in Archicad Talk before the forum were moved to the GS Community in September of 2021, but then they did not renew their registration, so those  users were deleted, and their posts were kept with "Anonymous" as the name of the poster.

So, you may not get an answer from such a user.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

A 195x135 mm @ 300 DPI cinerender image with reasonably OK settings, should render out in under 2 minutes and a sketch render in a few seconds, bring these to photo editing software (photoshop or similar) and you can easily make more 'sketchy' renders that take little to no time.

With a bit more filter work (ideally saved as macros) etc you can create something like below in about 5 mins total.

B786_exterieur_190617.jpg

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5