BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Door and window markers?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the plan view door and window markers and their auto schedules working great. Now, is there a way to have the markers and ID's show on my building sections and exterior elevations? I'm using the Window Marker_NCS 17 and the D Marker 17.
Doors are a hexagon with a numeric ID
Windows are a simple square on end with alphabetic ID

I'm using AC18 (not sure why I'm using AC17 markers maybe because they simple)
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Go to label default settings, in the content preview select windows, then to the right hand side drop down set the label you want
Select the window in elevation/section view then in the listing & labeling of the window selection settings check label window. Make sure you have 03 set in the MVO.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Roger,

It's too arduous and convoluted a process if you ask me. We should be able to turn the markers on in section and elevation views all at the same time and there should be a way to specify the location of the marker within the opening (upper left, center, upper right, etc.) I had already spent the time to set up the markers in the plan view the way I want them, why would I have to do it all over again one at a time?
Karl Ottenstein
Not that arduous - just click the Window tool, ctrl-A (cmd-A), to select all windows, ctrl-T (cmd-T) to go to settings and check the label box.

The logic is that you have control over every section/election as to whether the marker is displayed. If it displayed always, you might be complaining about how to turn the markers off in your sections. 😉

Another possibility is that you may not want to label all windows. Perhaps its a remodel and you want all windows to show, but to only have labels for the new ones.

With 4 typical elevations, no big deal. If your project has angled wings and has lots of elevations due to that, then, yeah, it is a bit time consuming.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

I have the 4 exterior elevations plus 24 building sections (six sheets with 4 sections each). I did the process and only was able to get a label box with the ID and the arrow pointing to the lower left corner of the window. It needs to be just the ID in the same box shown on the plan. In my case it's a square on end for windows and my doors are a hexagon. On the plan the markers originate from the door and window settings and a selected marker, not the label tool. What was graphisoft thinking on this?? It really needs to be the same marker used on the plan. Turned on or off in section elevation by selecting those door and windows that you want ID's on from the section and selecting, "markers on", from the palette options in the same way and from the place you would select the "change selections to morphs". Why couldn't they have done something like this?

The way this is now, I would have to go in and place a 2d symbol around each ID to get them to match my plan designations and what am I supposed to do with the arrow? There is no option to remove the arrow in the label tool. If there was an option to remove the arrow and the ability to select the shape of the label box the ID is in, this would work for me. If you look at the screen shot of my plan a few posts above this one, youi can see that I was able to have the markers with no arrows and the ID's are inside the hexagons and squares on end which help to further distinguish doors from windows respectively.

Karl wrote:
Not that arduous - just click the Window tool, ctrl-A (cmd-A), to select all windows, ctrl-T (cmd-T) to go to settings and check the label box.

The logic is that you have control over every section/election as to whether the marker is displayed. If it displayed always, you might be complaining about how to turn the markers off in your sections. 😉

Another possibility is that you may not want to label all windows. Perhaps its a remodel and you want all windows to show, but to only have labels for the new ones.

With 4 typical elevations, no big deal. If your project has angled wings and has lots of elevations due to that, then, yeah, it is a bit time consuming.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The method I described using the Cadimage label or generic 18 label does not have the leader line/arrow, but alas is just a standard rectangle.
I use the oval for windows and circle for doors and would like to replicate those on elevations too, but at least I can set them on, and the rest is done for me.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jonathan wrote:
There is no option to remove the arrow in the label tool.
Use the Label Window Marker 18 and check Use symbol arrow.
Jonathan wrote:
If there was an option ... and the ability to select the shape of the label box the ID is in, this would work for me.
Use the Label Window Marker 18 and under Symbol Label > Options > Polygon Shape > Rectangle.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David, Karl and Roger,

I worked with your suggestions for about 20 minutes this morning and the
screen shot below is the best I could do before I realized that there is also a problem with the text rotation angle and label location and, like you said,
even if I get this one window label to work let alone all the rest, what about all the doors. I have 4 exterior elevations and 24 building sections. I think for this job and since I have to go into each section anyway to add dimensions and text notes, I will add the door and window markers manually.

This is something that graphisoft needs to work on (fix yesterday!!) along with the finish material turning into openings in section view. These are basic building and document elements that must be "first string" so to speak. You can't provide a marker for doors and windows and the like for the plan view and then say "that's good enough", the user can figure something out with the label tool if they want to identify the doors and windows in the section and elevation views. If this is the best graphisoft could do for now they should have made the label tool more flexible and functional, so that whatever marker was chosen for the plan view it could be easily carried through the working set .
Same situation with the finish material turning in plan and not in the sections, except this situation simply has no "reasonable" fix at all.
These issues are a good example of how important the basic elements are.
I layout 24 linked building sections and 4 exterior elevations from the BIM only to find out that there is really no way to justify the time it would take to
get all the openings to read and be labeled correctly. Here's a quick, very conservative, estimate of the number of errors now propagated throughout the sections and elevations:
3 doors & 3 windows per section/elevation view times 28 views=
6 x 28 = 168 errors.
Add these errors to the fact that there really isn't any way to show the sill and top plates, fire blk'g, framing around openings, hdrs, continuous Vs. blocking, etc. and one realizes, wow, I'm not so comfortable printing this for distribution and construction. Granted, it could be argued that the structural drawings and details cover these items, but.... I'm just saying. Every drawing produced is an instrument of service and should represent, as precisely as possible the exact construction of the building. Concise drawings are and probably always will be our first line of protection and defense against costly errors and disputes in the field.
Stress Co_
Advisor
With regard to label rotation...
are you using the Window Marker or the Door Marker?

The Door Marker did not work correctly (for me) in AC 17.
See: Door/Window Markers in Elevation
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress,

Niether, this is in the section elevation window where I guess the auto marker's job has ben defered to the label tool somehow.
I'm too far into this job to start going back and play around with markers and labels on 28 building sections. If they want to identify a window or a door in the field they will just have to find it on the plan.

Best,

High Stress:-?

P.S. if I now tried to use the window marker label 17 I would not be able to match my floor plan symbols (square on side and hexagon) see screen shot several posts above. It's ridiculous the number of days spent trying to make it all work and read correctly. We're in the ball park, the software has come a long way in the last few versions, just need to focus on that 1 square inch in the middle of home plate! I can't believe I just used a baseball metaphor.

Stress wrote:
With regard to label rotation...
are you using the Window Marker or the Door Marker?

The Door Marker did not work correctly (for me) in AC 17.
See: Door/Window Markers in Elevation
Learn and get certified!