BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Export schedule to fill specific rows/columns/workbook in Excel

jrmrt
Booster

Can we export a schedule to Excel in a way that it will start to fill the information on an excel sheet from a predetermined start point?

For example, if I have an areas schedule in Archicad, and I have an excel sheet that has a number of formulas to determine zoning compliance.  Can I export that data from Archicad so that it will fill that specific row in this prepared Excel file?

There are a few Grasshopper tools that allow you to do this, and I would love to have this workflow in Archicad.  I know that I could re-create the formulas in Archicad, but some of the ones I want to test are very complex and it would be easier to export the data to these existing files already.

Thank you!

Justin

5 REPLIES 5
bouhmidage
Advisor

Hi, 

here is the startpoint for a Good Archicad / excel workflow, 

Create a Refresh-able Link from Archicad to Excel! - YouTube

Instead of saving .TXT file, save your reports as .XLSX files, and load them , .TXT files have some character problems, they loow weired when imported into excel.

I learned so much from John's videos, and now i have a robust workflow between archciad and excel, 

Welcome for any questions ! 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
bouhmidage
Advisor

keep Archicad for quantity takeoff, it collects quantities, data, and sort them in columns, 

All calculations would be better and faster in the excel side.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
Barry Kelly

@jrmrt wrote:

Can we export a schedule to Excel in a way that it will start to fill the information on an excel sheet from a predetermined start point?

Yes you can.

I have seen it done, I am just not exactly sure of the process.

If I can find out I will post back.

The coordination is not controlled from Archicad though.

Basically you export the schedule as normal from Archicad.

In Excel, you set your file to import that exported Archicad information into a particular area (sheet?).

You then have you main spreadsheet read the values from those imported fields.

So you’re Excel file reads the Archicad information in to a ‘holding’ area that your final spreadsheet reads.

This allows you to update the export from Archicad at any time and update your Excel spreadsheet.

Sorry I don’t know the proper terminology.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
jrmrt
Booster

Thank you for the responses @bouhmidage and @Barry Kelly .  I am familiar with the workflow suggested by ContraBIM, but I was really hoping for something that didn't require the creation of an extra file that is then uploaded to the intended excel file.  We can do this in Grasshopper, and there must be a for you to do this in Archicad directly, especially since it can already export to excel.

Maybe this should be added to wish list for features?

Steve1
Contributor

If you're good enough at VBA scripting or can find someone who is you can write macros in excel that will do all this for you. I've written macros doing the same thing from a few different pieces of software in our office. Not sure it's the answer you're after but it would be the quickest way of making it happen currently. If your just moving data around you might even be able to get away with just recording a macro rather than even having to write one...

Learn and get certified!