BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Hotspots visible in symbol fill

I'am trying to make symbol fill (for wooden siding) and using hotspots to set bottom and top edges of fill. Strange think that hotspots are being printed in fill as dots. It is possible somehow to hide them in fill ? As I know hotspots should not be printed anywhere only seen in workplace.

AlgimantasKuprenas_0-1654840847024.png

Dot's are visible also in PDF drawings

AlgimantasKuprenas_1-1654841005939.png

GRAPHISOFT BIM Manager Training Week attendee
ArchiCAD v9 - v26 INT / NOR (5002)
cpu i5-12600K @ 5.0Ghz, ram 32GB, gpu 1060 GTX
ssd NVMe, Windows 11
ArchiCAD Discord channel: https://discord.gg/QdWxSJ33

7 REPLIES 7
runxel
Legend

That's how it is designed.

The hotspots get "converted" into some kind of zero-length line when saving them into a fill.

So.... just don't save them into your custom symbol fill?

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

I use Hotspot to fix my symbol fill 0,0 coordinate that should be empty. I need line offset from 0,0 coordinate. Don't know how to make without it.

AlgimantasKuprenas_0-1655098232054.png

I want to have my bottom left and top right corner without  any points. Any way to make it ? Or maybe Symbol Fill can be edited in Notepad or GDL code ?

ssd NVMe, Windows 11

I always start and end my planking (siding) fills with a line.

Wouldn't you always start from the bottom of the board?

BarryKelly_0-1655100340318.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Not always and I can tell You why.

I want my bottom siding line to be a bit elevated from 0 Strorey level so they will have 100% accurate representation how it will be produced in factory and build in construction site.

AlgimantasKuprenas_0-1655100908589.png

If I would model like You then lines will start to be drawn from 0 storey level.

ssd NVMe, Windows 11

OK, that can work.

Just be aware the fill (hatch pattern & texture) does not start from the bottom of the wall.

It actually starts from Project Zero.

So you have offset your fill hatch by a certain amount so the first line appears above your floor level.

Regardless of the height of the base of your wall, the hatch pattern will always be at the same level above Project Zero.

This is fine so long as your floor level is at Project Zero and your wall starts at the same distance below floor level (project zero) as shown in your image.

So maybe this is OK for you all of the time.

If so that works and that is great.

But if you ever need to adjust the base height of the wall (i.e. maybe your floor is not at project zero), the offset will not look the same - unless the difference in floor height is exactly a multiple the same height as your siding.

The only true thing you can do is to use "Align texture in 3D' command to position the texture and hatch to exactly the correct position.

That is why I have a line at the base so I can then align it with the base of any wall I model.

You would need to offset it a certain distance above the base of your walls.

But as I say this will only be a problem if you need to set the base of the wall at a different distance below Project Zero as you have shown.

So the trade off is your method may work 95% - 100% of the time for you, but if you ever need to adjust it (align in 3D) you may find it a little harder to set the correct level. And you have those annoying hotspots.

My method means I have more walls to align in 3D if I want to be fussy about where the hatch pattern starts, but it is easy to adjust as I just align to the bottom of the wall, no matter what the height of the base of the wall is.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Correct, Symbol Fill is placed on Project Zero.

3D texture alignment can help in such cases, just its not very easy to adjust because it works only in 3D view. If 3D texture alignment could work on façade views that would be way more helpful tool.

ssd NVMe, Windows 11

@Algimantas Kuprenas wrote:

3D texture alignment can help in such cases, just its not very easy to adjust because it works only in 3D view. If 3D texture alignment could work on façade views that would be way more helpful tool.

Good point.

It will show you the adjustment in elevation, you just can't make it there, which would be very nice if we could.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!