Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Labels - Pointer connected to bottom or top, how to?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello -

I'm trying to see how to make a label that the pointer starts from the top or bottom of the label, not from the sides. Is this possible to do within the provided library parts? Suggestions/tips?

Thank you.
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
ESP182 wrote:
I'm guess that Graphisoft never designed a Rotated Square with a leader line and pointer?
Probably.

I think any ArchiCAD labels have a hard-coded (internal) restriction that a label can only connect to the pointer on the left side... (I am curious whether ArchiCAD has any right to left language support... Hebrew for instance... and how labels work there.)

I'll look into this shortly.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I would say that A Label's pointer can only connect to its side, not to its left.
You can simply mirror it vertically, and then the pointer starts from the right, not the left.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
But is there a way to have a label with the leader, with a pointer, coming from either the top or bottom, not left or right sides?
Anonymous
Not applicable
ESP182 wrote:
But is there a way to have a label with the leader, with a pointer, coming from either the top or bottom, not left or right sides?
I don't think so. From what I see the pointer can only be connected on the left.

I am not sure it can be done any other way. The only DGL variable related to this issue specifies pointer position as "Bottom" "Middle" or "Top". All on the left.

I'll look into what Laszlo said above and see if any transformations might affect that.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like I'll have to make a wish list item for this? Until then, I'll continue using two different labels to make this happen. Works around ftw!
Anonymous
Not applicable
ESP182 wrote:
Looks like I'll have to make a wish list item for this? Until then, I'll continue using two different labels to make this happen. Works around ftw!
I looked into this from different angles, but this might be a bit more difficult than usual.
We can't even solve this with custom programming, as ArchiCAD does not even have an option to attach pointer to the top or bottom of a label.
The only variable available to us (LABEL_ANCHOR_POS) is hardcoded into ArchiCAD to only allow attaching pointer on the side of the label and, then, has only three positions — bottom left corner, left middle and left top corner.
Naturally, as Laszlo said, you can mirror the label, but it will still have a pointer on the side, just opposite one. Never on top or bottom.

@Laszlo: This, probably, needs to be examined by GS staff... there is nothing we can do here, Laszlo.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the update:

I started a wish list for this:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=258823#258823

Thanks again for the responses.
sinceV6
Advocate
Anton wrote:
... We can't even solve this with custom programming, as ArchiCAD does not even have an option to attach pointer to the top or bottom of a label.
The only variable available to us (LABEL_ANCHOR_POS) is hardcoded into ArchiCAD to only allow attaching pointer on the side of the label and, then, has only three positions — bottom left corner, left middle and left top corner....
It can be solved with custom scripting, but you'd have to script the whole thing, including the lines, pointer arrow and bypass the label position.

Best regards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
sinceV6 wrote:
It can be solved with custom scripting, but you'd have to script the whole thing, including the lines, pointer arrow and bypass the label position.
That won't be a label, though.
sinceV6
Advocate
Anton wrote:
That won't be a label, though.
Why not?