Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Looking for free trees bitmaps w/ alpha channel files

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does any one knows where to get free trees bitmaps w/ alpha channel for renderings?
Most of I what I found is too fake (and expensive)...

Tanks,
F.S.
9 REPLIES 9
TMA_80
Enthusiast
you should find in the link below some interesting free samples:

http://vyonyx.com/category/down/cutout-trees/
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
tks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Some how when I use the coconut palms I downloaded from vyoyx.com they don't render with a transparent background, even dow wen I open them in i-photo they are apparently with no background. Any idea how to make this work in the renderings? tks...

F.S.
Anonymous
Not applicable
fransole,

EDIT: Use the figure tool for transparent images in the OpenGL view. See last paragraph. Lightworks renderings has also has the "cutout" look,
Lightworks "material settings" is where I make a billboard for this:

1) the baseline image, 1, is from vyoyx.com per your post (no background).
2) make another image to match 2, you actually want a white background for this process.
3) You are going to create a new material, say LW - Palm Tree.
4) In the Open GL preview window of new material, open Textures and click search, find the jpg/tif you made, like image 2, click on "keep original proportions", then give it a height of your choice.
5) In Lightworks rendering Engine preview window first click on "match with Internal Engine" , then change Class Reflectance to Matte.
6) place a wall on your site that is 0" thick and whatever height you gave in the settings above. Set the 3D origin via >Design >Align 3D texture, to get the bottom of image to equal bottom of wall. Unfortunately with this particular image it has a piece of ground on it so you'll have to set the wall to "bury" itself by a couple of feet or so to make it sit properly. This should look like image 3
7) render, voila image 4.

If you must have an OpenGl version without the white wall parts, then make a slab, apply the image as a material, cut out around the tree (labor intensive!), create library part from the slab, place at will.
EDIT:
look here for another option using the figure tool, very fast, is placed in elevation not plan.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Im having the same problem as brought up previously. I have tried to follow the steps that were posted and yet my images still come up with the white background. Is there anything i could be missing??

I have opened up the image in photoshop and made the background white and then saved it as a jpeg.

Then I have created a material with that image and in lightworks changed the reflectance to matte (also selected match with interal engine).

Then when I render the image comes up on the wall with a white background (the wall is 0' thick) I have also tried with the image without a white background and the same has happened. Am i missing a vital step or have i not checked a box to allow for the transparency ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi NStudio,

I've been working with Artlantis since its 3.0 release and let me tell you, this is the way to go for renderings.

Now back to the transparent background, one of the tricks I learned last year was to always remember to duplicate the Original Image Layer in PhotoSHOP, than HIDE the "original image layer" and do the process of erasing the background in the duplicated layer. Keep the original layer hided all the time!
I think the shortcut for duplicating the Original Image in a New Layer is CRL+J. Good luck.

Cheers,
Francisco Sole
Dwight
Newcomer
nsstudio1 wrote:
saved it as a jpeg.
try PNG with a deleted background.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
nsstudio1 wrote:
saved it as a jpeg.
Just to be clear, JPG doesn't have transparency. PNG does.
Dwight
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:
Dwight wrote:
nsstudio1 wrote:
saved it as a jpeg.
Just to be clear, JPG doesn't have transparency. PNG does.
That's so right. Even though many Archicad materials call for bump mapping or other Alpha channel effects, the texture supplied is JPEG so there can be no effect. In LightWorks, however, the red channel is used to determine alpha channel effects, further confusing things.
Dwight Atkinson