BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Plan in 3d model and render

sarahcele
Newcomer

Hi All, 

Is there a way to get your plan to show up in your 3D Model AND render out? 

I dont want to 3d model everything  at this stage but would like to render out with a plan to give the space some context of 'what could be'. 

Anyone have any advise?

6 REPLIES 6
DGSketcher
Legend

@sarahcele If it is just a plan view, you can overlay views on the Layout sheet. So place your 2D(?) base plan & overlay that with a 3D Document plan view at the same scale.

If you want a Perspective view then there is a trick of assigning an image as a surface texture which you can overlay on a slab or mesh. I can't find the "How to..." for that just now.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly

There is a way ...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/2D-plan-onto-3D-model/m-p/266999/highlight/true#M13...

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
4dProof
Advisor

just apply a cutting plane (3d Cutaway in the view menu) set to whatever your cut plan height in plan is. Then you can use the "look perpendicular to clicked surface" under view > 3d navigation extras. click on the slab or any horizontal plane. Save the resulting view to the view map, place on layout or render with cinerender (or make a 3d document from the resulting 3d view).

From there, you can overlay the floor plan on a layout if you want a more technical view to go with it

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

I think the dwg to gdl option is cool, but a lot of work and not dynamically linked to the 3d model

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

@4dProof I am curious about the "look perpendicular... " bit. You do know there is a 3D Document from Plan option which is quicker? 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

yes, but if you wanted to show the model/plan with any kind of perspective/height, the 3d document is just a plan projection (ortho). If I were really trying to dress it up with a 3d plan, I'd still pull it from 3d; otherwise, I'd just use a flat floor plan with custom cover fills on the slabs

Learn and get certified!