Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Plot VS Printing - Screen Color Matching

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi ppl

I've bought a new plotter, HP Designjet T1530 PS and I've encountered a lot of problems trying to match screen colors and the impressed colors on paper. I'm using Archicad 21 an I've noticed differences in colors when using plot or printing. Can someone explain me why? When I chosse print colors appear much more light and unreal, and when I hit plot colors look much more real and almost match what I see on the screen (after printed on paper).

thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
I have never used Plot so I can't comment on that.
But when you print you will have options for the Printer Setup.
In there you should find settings that control the quality of the print.
These may be set to a low or draft quality by default.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Without buying a good quality monitor (eg HP dreamcolour or Dell Ultrasharp) and a hardware calibration system and regularly updating the profiles there will always be a difference between screen display and printed output.
Difference between plot and print output would be due to the differing printer languages used, plot likely to be using HPGL2 and printing if using windows default installed driver likely to be PCL. I would change windows driver to a postscript driver, although not as pretty as the default driver you will get better and more consistent results with the postscript driver and pdf will print faster. My workflow is that any printing is from PDF so I always have a record copy of any document.
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help.
I'll try printing from PDF to test the colors. It still amazes me the difference between print and plot.. The fantastic and unbelievable world of printing drivers
Karl Ottenstein
I would be surprised if a 'plot' driver even knows about color profiles and believe those drivers exist only for legacy purposes.

Your printer is a large format printer, not a plotter. 😉 The lightness that you see probably relates to the color specific settings of the printer driver as well as any profile mismatches between your print file and what the printer is expecting. Colors will also differ based on the paper being used, and the printer will need to compensate for that - so be sure you specify the type of paper in the print dialogs, too...

The somewhat dated article here relates to color matching for photographers, but the principals of color matching for monitors and printers are identical for our lower resolution needs:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2025119943/printer-primer-2-print-workflow
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB