Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Problem with displacement on maxwell materials

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been scratching my head all morning over this and can't see where I am going wrong? I am trying to load a brick maxwell mxm material into AC15, and it looks fine in preview, but when I render it dos this crazy displacement, and makes my brick wall look like it's clad with a drape/curtain

Any help gratefully received, I am struggling with this
14 REPLIES 14
Barry Kelly
Archicad 18 will have Cinema 4D built in - with displacement.
I don't know how this will affect exporting to Maxwell except that maybe now you won't need to.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I just got word that Maxwell has released an updated plugin for ArchiCAD a few days ago:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/mxdocsv3/ArchiCAD+plugin+-+Version+History
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
andrejpapesa wrote:
...isnt it time you guys in Graphisoft to resolve this... models made with Archicad without displacement working with Maxwell properly is not a little thing.

To be fair, this isn't a Graphisoft problem.

They can't be expected to develop how their software works to the expectations and requirements of a completely different software performing a different task than what ArchiCAD is primarily supposed to be doing (which is not visualization).

ArchiCAD is not a rendering or visualization software, so it's unreasonable to expect or demand them to have it tessellate model surfaces into a form that Maxwell likes.

The ArchiCAD to Maxwell plugin is developed by NextLimit (the makers of Maxwell).
The best you can hope for is to ask them if a work around can be found allowing it to translate surfaces with displacement textures defined into a format or subdivision pattern that doesn't prevent displacement during render time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Version 3.0.1 - May 9, 2014 migt have fixed the problem
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well i did not try new archicad plugin however it says FIXED: Material preview can slow down and material display can be wrong after switching to material with displacement , so that should be ok also i found that sometimes workaround is in order with previous version that you make flat surface many-poligonal it makes things better. And I would not agree that is not Archicad problem in matters like this where software is presented to work with some other software it is up to both suppliers to find a solution together. I might have been wrong in my previous post where i was like Graphisoft should fix this... appologies.