BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Published pdfs corrupted!

Llian
Advocate
My published 130-page PDF drawing is zero bytes. i re-boot computer and re-publish four times, still zero bytes and adobe pdf error message - "...it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

Help!!!!
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
Interior-Architecture and BIM Management
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
18 REPLIES 18
Barry Kelly
All I can suggest is to try publishing groups of pages to see if any of them fail.
That may help to narrow down what is causing the problem.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
LucaP
Enthusiast
Hi,

I've also encountered similar issue. It actually happened regardless of pdf's being published in a batch or single files.
At first I thought that this could be caused by our cloud storage, but no (sort of...).

I think I've read somewhere here on the forum that ArchiCAD doesn't like long paths (here I have to underline that being able to use relative paths is ESSENTIAL when it comes to professional work with organised folder structure. Yet it's still missing in ArchiCAD).

For me solution was to publish into shortest path possible (like "D:\..."), then moving the package into destined folder.

Hope this proves to be helpful.
Łukasz Pietraszko
ArchiCAD 26 PL, since AC20 | WIN 10 Home
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB | 500 GB SSD
Llian
Advocate
Thanks...interestingly it works if the folders are NOT merged. This means I have to spend the time to combine the PDFs manually...
The other thing, what does the yellow warning means here?
Lilian Seow
LEED AP | cSBA
Interior-Architecture and BIM Management
AC20 USA | 27- macOS 10.14.6| 4 GHz Intel Core i7| 32 GB RAM | Archicad-user since 1994!
Barry Kelly
Llian wrote:
The other thing, what does the yellow warning means here?
Try double clicking on the warning icon and you should see what the warning is.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
LucaP
Enthusiast
Usually the yellow triangle means that ArchiCAD has published the file but had to correct the filename (i.e. hidden space at the end of the file name)
Łukasz Pietraszko
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB | 500 GB SSD
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Lilian,

Thank you for reporting the issue and I am sorry for the experience!

My first suggestion is, if you publish to PDF with "Merge to one PDF file" option activated, and the location is Desktop, is the file successfully created? I have a hunch that this is caused by long path issue. As LucaP pointed out, this is a known issue to us, that sometimes due to the long path, the published PDF resulted in 0 byte.

Also, thank you LucaP for answering the warning icon question! Yes, if the published file name (generated from the layout's name) has some special characters (like : / \ * and so on), ARCHICAD will correct the name before saving the file, resulting in a yellow warning icon.

Let me know about the result of the above test. Thank you very much! And big thanks to LucaP and Barry for your suggestions in this case!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

LucaP
Enthusiast
Hi Minh,

Since we're talking about the "long path issue", do you by any chance know if Graphisoft is planning to implement the possibility to use relative paths (i.e.: external drawings, publishing setup etc.)? Being able to use relative paths based on PLN file location would be a great help.

I wonder if that issue had at least been discussed by developers (there is a wish from 2004 about a secondary path, and another from 2018 about relative publishing, but none of them seem to be addressed by developers).

Łukasz
Łukasz Pietraszko
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
LucaP wrote:
Hi Minh,

Since we're talking about the "long path issue", do you by any chance know if Graphisoft is planning to implement the possibility to use relative paths (i.e.: external drawings, publishing setup etc.)? Being able to use relative paths based on PLN file location would be a great help.

I wonder if that issue had at least been discussed by developers (there is a wish from 2004 about a secondary path, and another from 2018 about relative publishing, but none of them seem to be addressed by developers).

Łukasz
Hi Łukasz,

This is a known wish that actually dated back in 2002! To be honest, I won't be able to comment on the implementation of this (not sure how hard it would be). This was put into Filed state, but I really am not sure if this would be possible to happen.

Anyway, I have placed another comment into the wish entry (same as you, I think it will be wonderful to have relative path, so that we won't have to relink libraries, hotlinks, and drawings every time the file is copied/saved to another machine!). Please refer it in the future as #1369.

Thank you very much for raising the question. I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

LucaP
Enthusiast
mnguyen wrote:
LucaP wrote:
Hi Minh,

Łukasz
Hi Łukasz,

This is a known wish that actually dated back in 2002! To be honest, I won't be able to comment on the implementation of this (not sure how hard it would be). This was put into Filed state, but I really am not sure if this would be possible to happen.

Anyway, I have placed another comment into the wish entry (same as you, I think it will be wonderful to have relative path, so that we won't have to relink libraries, hotlinks, and drawings every time the file is copied/saved to another machine!). Please refer it in the future as #1369.

Thank you very much for raising the question. I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh
Thank you for taking effort and reporting that wish. I really hope that this will be easy enough to make it work in near future. (Next release perhaps? Fingers crossed)

All the best,
Łukasz
Łukasz Pietraszko
Learn and get certified!