cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shadows in architectural documentation

TKis
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do you take pride in your architectural documentation? Accurate shadows are a great enhancement for your 2D and 3D Documents. Based on your feedback, we’d like to make shadows in ARCHICAD more powerful and easier to use.

Please, fill out our Survey!

https://bit.ly/3caSsnn
25 REPLIES 25

Aaron Bourgoin
Advocate
Thanks for posting this. It's a timely and welcome subject to offer feedback on. I've invited my 60 colleagues to all participate. We hope that you will follow this up with another survey that goes into greater depth once you've compiled the results of this survey.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC23-3003 USA / AC24-4018 USA
Rhino 7 Mac
OSX 10.14.6 & 11.3.1

DGSketcher
Virtuoso
Done. Thanks for asking. Hope this is the first of many step in simplifying the whole user interface,
Apple iMac macOS Big Sur / AC24UKI (most recent builds)

Eduardo Rolon
Done.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro 2.4 i9 32GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

henryL
Contributor
Done. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Done and thanks!

BTW. I think that a new AC Shadow Catcher Surface would be handy. Especially for photo insertions.
FYI: Shadow Catcher Surface/Material, is a surface/material that is invisible but cast/receive shadows.

Cheers,

runxel
Mentor
Great! Done it.

I think the most important part – to extend what Braza said – is, that what we see, and what the sun sees, should not be treated equivalent.
If I cut in 3D many times I'd rather see the shadows acting as if I didn't cut.
There needs to be some kind of switch I'd say 🙂
AC 24 [ger] | Win 10 | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tibor wrote:
Do you take pride in your architectural documentation? Accurate shadows are a great enhancement for your 2D and 3D Documents. Based on your feedback, we’d like to make shadows in ARCHICAD more powerful and easier to use.

Please, fill out our Survey!

https://bit.ly/3caSsnn

Shadows-01-square.png
Great idea. Done it!

KeesW
Contributor
Done survey.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects

AC 5 - 25 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Desktop: Archicad 5.5 - 25, Win10 64, Core i7 , 16 GB RAM, NVidia GTX560 Ti, 1.5TB HD, 500GB SSD

Laptop: Archicad 16 - 24, Win10 64 Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB NVidia GT 540M

Steve Jepson
Advisor
The survey could have been real short for me. The reasons I may want to use shadows or not are the same no matter what the view is Floor plan, Section, Elevation, 3D Document....

A good question might be - how satisfied are you with how you are able to show shadows where you want them? Where is showing shadows where you need them using up too much time ?

ArchiCAD 25 4013 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro

DGSketcher
Virtuoso
Interesting thread about shadows in sections... https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=70031

I have had this issue in the past regarding having to create duplicate elevation/sections to display/hide shadows (& fills). It may be worth considering in the Shadows review. Given these settings are usually common to a group of views, perhaps the Section/Elevation > Model Display settings should move to MVO setting.

DGSketcher
Virtuoso
An alternative suggestion would be to move the Shadow Settings into the 3D STYLES menu and rename it to STYLE MANAGER to additionally cover Sections & Elevations. This could also be a good opportunity to consolidate all the graphic presentation styles into presets that can be selected & saved with each view. The Preset Name menu could be easily split between 3D & 2D views. This would then allow the MODEL DISPLAY settings to be removed from the Section / Elevation tools. It would certainly beat chasing missed or modified MODEL DISPLAY settings between views, provide simplified view setup and more consistent presentation.

In VIEW SETTINGS the view style selection could replace the Cut Plane settings which are currently greyed out in Section / Elevation and 3D views.

Opening up a legacy project would require the settings from each Section / Elevation to be saved as a preset and applied to the relevant view settings. These could then be quickly consolidated by the user through the STYLE MANAGER if required.

Just a thought.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Makes sense to me DGSketcher.
This kind of approach should be embraced by GS more effectively.
First things first: Optimize Workflows.

Jp1138
Expert
DGSketcher wrote:
An alternative suggestion would be to move the Shadow Settings into the 3D STYLES menu and rename it to STYLE MANAGER to additionally cover Sections & Elevations...

Sounds very nice to me
ARCHICAD 25 SPA
Windows 10

TMA_80
Contributor

DGSketcher
Virtuoso
The attached images are a mock up of what I thought the revised 3D Style settings might look like. Hopefully changing the Date & Time will give an immediate render update.

Tomek Piatek
Contributor
Good to see that GS cares about this topic. In addition to the general enhancements and ideas suggested by others I would like to see the following features:
  • Ability to control the hue and brightness of shadows, independent of sun/lighting intensity. This will allow for better control over presentation images.
  • Ability to toggle ambient occlusion effect for 3D views. Notice the subtle shading on road forms and in the corners of the image below. These effects are due to ambient occlusion. A black & white 3D image with ambient occlusion is particularly well suited for considering spacial qualities of the design without being distracted by colour. This is a real time effect that does not require you to render the image.

---
ArchiCAD 23
Windows 10 Pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
I took the survey.

I have been using shadows since I first started on Archicad years ago. The shadow make the drawings look great and help the reader to understand the depth.

A couple of comments:

1 - As somebody else pointed out shadows in sections are unusable (for me) without the ability to turn a switch on to enable calculating the shadows using the full model even if the section is showing only a part of the model.

2 - This is not really specific to shadows but it feel it goes hand in hand. I have seen other Softwares allowing a fog effect in elevation and sections so that the linework for things in a distance is automatically toned down - this further helps understand the depth of the drawing.

Thank you! Look forward to 24 coming out soon

Anonymous
Not applicable
Done.

Barry Kelly
nardo99 wrote:
2 - This is not really specific to shadows but it feel it goes hand in hand. I have seen other Softwares allowing a fog effect in elevation and sections so that the linework for things in a distance is automatically toned down - this further helps understand the depth of the drawing.

Are you aware of the "Marked Distance Area' option in the settings for sections and elevations?
Not a 'fog' as such but it does reduce the weight (and colour) of the line work in the distance area that you set.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

Start a new conversation!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!