Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Stair Display UP/DN Text

EH21
Booster
Using the stair tool, I am trying to show hidden/above lines as being dashed. However, I do not want it to show the down ("DN") text or the riser numbers on the hidden half of the stairs (it should show lines only). It seems that if I turn off these feature, they don't display on the next story up. At minimum, I would like for it to not show the DN text. Is there a way to do this, or is this a shortcoming of the stair tool?
ArchiCAD: AC26, Version 4024 USA Full (Apple Silicon)
Computer: 2022 Apple M1 Max, 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64 GB memory
14 REPLIES 14
Aimad Eddine
Contributor
Hello,
You can check the Floor Plan Display (the left panel on the Stair Default Settings dialog) to make your stairs displayed as you wish.
Aimad Eddine BOUZIANE
Architect
BIM enthusiast

Setup: Dell G5 15, i7 10750H, 16GB ram, RTX 2070 Max Q, Windows 10
EH21
Booster
Thank you. I have tried this, but there is no option to have the DN text not visible when the hidden/above portion of the stairs is made visible. See screenshot. If I opt to have the Text 1 Position set to "off," I will not be able to see it when I am up a story and need it to be visible. Please let me know what I am missing!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
What if you set the "Text 1 Position" field from "Top of Stair" to "Off"?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
EH21
Booster
If I set it to off, then it is off when I go to the story above. When I go to the next story (at the top of the stairs), I still want it to read "DN."
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Ah, so you want the "DOWN" text to show on certain Stories, but not show on others.
I do not see any parameter that would make it possible currently.
The UP/DOWN Text is actually generated by a GDL Library Part ("Built-in Up-Down Text" in your case), and it is not scripted in a way to make this possible. It may be possible to script such a Library Part, but the ones that currently come by default in Archicad do not have this capability.
You could try to script such a Library Part (if you have good GDL knowledge), otherwise, you could make a wish for this capability.
EH21
Booster
Thank you so much for all your feedback! That answers my question. I'm not great with GDL, so I will have to put that on the wish list.
Barry Kelly
Try to use something other than the 'Built-in text' object.

And from the floor above.

Someone from Graphisoft once told me that the 'Built-in' objects are really just place holders for when there is no library loaded.
It is best to use other objects when you can as they have more options.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
The one downside I have found with the Stair Numbering object is the lack of control of the numbering visibility around the break mark. This is an issue if you want to show stairs above each other as you get overlapping numbers. Podolsky's replacement solves this by giving you and option to change where numbers get hidden in reference to the break line.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Barry wrote:
Try to use something other than the 'Built-in text' object.

Barry, I did not want to suggest this solution because the "Above Relevant Story" is not really solving this issue, in my opinion.
See, if a Stair goes from Story 0 to Story 1, and it is displayed on Story -1 to Story 2, for example, then Story -1 is a "Below Relevant Story" (there can be more than one), Story 0 is the "Relevant Bottom Story", Story 1 is the "Relevant Top Story", and Story 2 is an "Above Relevant Story" (there can be more than one).
If a Stair goes from Story 0 to Story 1, we need separate settings for "Relevant Bottom Story" and "Relevant Top Story".

For example, if you go to the "Walking Line" page of the Dialog, the "Walking Line 25" library part offers you the ability to display or not display either of the Visible or Hidden parts of the Walking Line on each of the 5 "Relevant Story" Categories separately (I listed 4 above, the 5th is "Relevant Middle Story" - if a Stair goes from Story 0 to Story 2, then Story 1 would be a "Relevant Middle Story").

You guys should make wishes for these new capabilities, and post the link of those wishes in this thread for reference.