BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Visible light source and night scene in cinerender?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm working with Cinerender in v18, trying to render a room with a light fixture that has several small, visible bulbs. Is there anyway to make a pinpoint, visible light source? I can ge tthe light that is cast, but can;t seem to get the source to show up.

Also, this is a night scene, I am using the preset for indoor scene, lamps only and setting the time to late night as well as setting the background color to dark grey, but I always get a light or relatively light background through the windows. Is there someway to set it such that it's all dark in the background?

And last, I have placed the recessed light object but found that if it is truly recessed in the ceiling (roof object) then the light is "trapped". The object does not appear to support SEO either so I had to pulled the fixture down out of the ceiling, which pretty much defeats the purpose of a recessed fixture.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Chris wrote:
And last, I have placed the recessed light object but found that if it is truly recessed in the ceiling (roof object) then the light is "trapped". The object does not appear to support SEO either so I had to pulled the fixture down out of the ceiling, which pretty much defeats the purpose of a recessed fixture.
Have you tried using a small round Slab the same size as the Lamp Object to SEO a hole in the Roof (place this Slab on a hidden layer)?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Chris wrote:
Have you tried using a small round Slab the same size as the Lamp Object to SEO a hole in the Roof (place this Slab on a hidden layer)?

David
I haven't but I am sure it would work - just becomes a pain if you end up moving around a bunch of lights. Guess I could use grouping to help out. It's one of my frustrations at times with AC - a nice feature or object that does ALMOST what it needs to to be great, but doesn't quite make it..
Eduardo Rolon
I have gotten this to work by selecting in SEOs "subtract with downward extrusion" for ceiling lights this should clear a hole the lights. Check also that the light object setting are set to "realistic" for the 2D display if they are not lighting up the scene, this was a bug during the Beta that I don't know if it was fixed prior to the release.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
I have gotten this to work by selecting in SEOs "subtract with downward extrusion" for ceiling lights this should clear a hole the lights. Check also that the light object setting are set to "realistic" for the 2D display if they are not lighting up the scene, this was a bug during the Beta that I don't know if it was fixed prior to the release.
Thanks - the down extrusion worked perfectly.

As for the lights, they are lighting the scene but I need to be able to render the light source itself as it's a bare bulb. With every setting I try I get the light from the source, but I can;t find anyway to simulate an exposed bulb.
Anonymous
Not applicable
No idea on windows side beside Camtasia and since I have already bought iShowU I have not researched any Free alternatives. Maybe somebody else might help.
Learn and get certified!