Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Window Marker Display

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hopefully I am simply missing something very easy here!

I am trying to place a marker for all of my exterior windows, but some of the windows do not display the marker correctly (the same marker). I have attached a couple of screen shots depicting the issue I am having.

Question: Does a window have to be either cut or set to display symbolically in order for a window marker to display?

This seems to be the result I am getting.

The root of the problem is both windows do not have the same sill height, one is at 2'-8" AFF and the other is 7'-4" AFF. Both windows need to be displayed on the plan but we prefer to display them differently (like we have it now).

Any help would be appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, it seems like that any Door/Window that is not cut by the Floor Plan Cut Plane will not display Markers if set to Projected or Projected with Overhead.
You would have to move the Floor Plan Cut Plane high enough so that it cuts into both Windows for the Markers to show in all cases.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laszlonagy,

Thanks for looking into this and responding.

This is a REAL problem. Simply changing the Floor Plan Cut Plane to cut all windows on the 1st floor produces unintended consequences, and is not plausible to do in some situations.

For example, a 2 story school building where you have 2 stories for classrooms and a single story for the gymnasium/cafeteria/library. I have windows in those spaces that are 15' to the sill, but are shown on the first floor plan (because you wouldn't normally develop a 2nd story floor plan to only show a space that is open to below). If I adjust the FPCP up to this height I am now into my 2nd story.

Is the only solution in this case to display those windows "symbolically"?

Thanks for the help.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
jbissaillon wrote:
Laszlonagy,

Thanks for looking into this and responding.

This is a REAL problem. Simply changing the Floor Plan Cut Plane to cut all windows on the 1st floor produces unintended consequences, and is not plausible to do in some situations.

For example, a 2 story school building where you have 2 stories for classrooms and a single story for the gymnasium/cafeteria/library. I have windows in those spaces that are 15' to the sill, but are shown on the first floor plan (because you wouldn't normally develop a 2nd story floor plan to only show a space that is open to below). If I adjust the FPCP up to this height I am now into my 2nd story.

Is the only solution in this case to display those windows "symbolically"?

Thanks for the help.
Yes, I think so.
Or work over that part with lines, fills etc.
This scenario you mentioned is an unresolved issue.
The best would be if the Floor Plan Cut Plane could change its height.

There is a workaround in which you save Views with different Floor Plan Cut Plane height settings. You save one on which one part of your plan looks good, you save another on which the other part of your plan looks good, then you put them together on a Layout, each drawing showing only the good parts.
I hope it is understandable the way I explained it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laszlonagy,

I had thought about using that workaround, but I am not sure it isn't more trouble than just giving in and showing the windows symbolically!

Thank you for your help.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Which Marker are you using?
I use the Window Marker 13 and am not able to replicate your problem.

I have a clerestory window set to show Overhead All.
-Cut plane is at 4'
-Window Sill is at 4'-8"
-Window shows with dashed lines and the marker is also showing.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika, you're correct. It does show the marker when the window is set to Overhead All.

It's just a preference for displaying the "high" windows in our office being the Projected w/Overhead, and the resistance to change .

Thanks for the help!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Erika wrote:
Which Marker are you using?
I use the Window Marker 13 and am not able to replicate your problem.

I have a clerestory window set to show Overhead All.
-Cut plane is at 4'
-Window Sill is at 4'-8"
-Window shows with dashed lines and the marker is also showing.
Erika,
The Marker is not display only when:
Window is above Floor Plan Cut Plane AND display is set to Projected or Projected with Overhead.
Sam Wheatley
Contributor
The window and the marker will display if you select the wall and change it to symbolic cut under floor plan display even if the window is above the cut line
ArchiCad 26 US

IMac Pro

iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB

NIVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
True, I did not know that.
I created a grid just out of curiosity to show all the possibilities.