Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Window - section detail

Roopa A
Contributor

Hai,

How to get the proper window detail in Plan, Section, and in the Schedule.

Like frame width, depth, glass thickness etc..

And in schedule, quantity of wood, steel  etc.

aluminium-window-detail-dwg.jpg

Like this window detail

Roopa A S
7 REPLIES 7

You need to understand that the information you can extract into useful Interactive Schedules from a *Window Object* placed in a Building Information Model which is being used to generate Architectural Plans / Construction Documents… is not going to be the same as what you can extract from a *Window Model* created specifically for the sake of generating Window Fabrication Plans/Shop Drawings that include Interactive Schedules for all of the materials, lengths of various profiles, volumes of Argon, etc…    

Perhaps what would be useful for you to know is how to link the Window Objects from an Archicad library to more detailed Window Fabrication Plans with their own Interactive Schedules for every component of a very detailed Window Model?      

It all depends on who you are makeing the Plans and Schedules for and what they need to do with them.  For a lot of Archicad users, the deliverable/end product they are selling is the .pdf, in which case, the .pdf is a good place to add the links to Manufactures drawings and other data. this can be done very easily using Adobe Acrobat.   The Archicad library part/object does not need to contain that informaiton to be useful in the Building Information Model.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

And how to get the wood and aluminium quantity in schedule

Roopa A S
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Frame width and depth and glass thickness I can ussually grab from the parameters of the window/door object. Outer dimensions too.

If you need to calculate the length of the profiles, you could do it with properties for rough numbers. Grab the width and height of the door/window and multiply by 2 to generate a perimiter value. More complex windows with extra parts won't work this way, of course.

I do wonder if you need so much detail and billable hours spent on it, though. Talking from my own experience, of course.

I never go that far into detail personally. The (sub) contractor receives our window/door schedules and they have sent back their production documentation for approval and without fault even the basic outer dimension are completely off the first time. Any time we put into making these schedules very detailed, truly is time wasted, since we are red lining the final output from the manufacturer a lot. Might be just our part of the global market, but a lot of the manufacturing of windows and doors in Netherlands is outsourced elsewhere in the EU where labor costs are lower and sadly it also shows in the quality of production drawings.

For cost estimates we have m² costs per element so we do not need detail there either.

We model up to, what I call '1:50 scale' accuracy or around LOD300. Beyond that has little meaning in our market.

1:5 details are drafted with product specific information to illustrate the connection to other building parts and how to achieve the proper air tightness etc

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

So, are you creating shop drawings for a manufacturer to build these window frames?

If so, then I would create them laying down with complex profile beams for the frames and slabs for the glass.

I am sure there is more to it than just that, but in essence, model it as it would be built.

If you model it with all of the correct components, then you will be able to schedule those components - i.e length of beams (frame members).

If you are looking to magically get all of the details and quantities from standard window objects, then forget it.

They are just not that detailed.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Interesting, I wrote response and it seems to have gone missing.

You can grab the width and depth of the profile and the glass thickness from the parameters of the door and window object and schedule those.

To create a perimeter value for rough estimate of profile length, you can create a property that grabs the width and height of the window and multiply them by 2.

Beyond this ussually has very little use, since the manufacturer will submit their production drawings for approval based on your schedule. At least in the market I work in.

The quality of these drawings is generally very poor and they obviously ignore our schedules a lot, so any work we put in to those for extra detail beyond the basic dimensions, is work wasted.

Archicad door and window objects are find for about 1:50 scale detail or LOD300, in my opinion and we never need more than that in our market.

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

@Erwin Edel wrote:

Interesting, I wrote response and it seems to have gone missing.

It got picked up as a spam post and was quarantined.

I have just released it so now you have 2 replies to this post.

It didn't say why it was quarantined and I can't see anything wrong in the message.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

If you read the 2nd letter of every third word maybe there is hidden spam?

Now I have to replies along the same lines 🤣

www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5