BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Zone Automatic Recognition Geometry Method + Hotlink Walls

jameshart
Newcomer
I am trying to place a zone using one of the automatic recognition methods, but when I click inside a room where the walls are part of a hotlink module, ArchiCAD does nothing. (No zone is drawn, no error message, no error sound, nothing of interest in the status bar... nothing.) I am still able to draw the zone manually, but I’ve noticed that manually drawn zones show the same square footage for both Gross and Net areas (undesireable.) Also, we like how the automatically drawn zones will update their geometry if a wall is moved and then you go to Design > Update Zones.

Is it just not possible to use the automatic recognition method with zones in rooms with hotlinked walls, or did I miss something?
ArchiCAD 22 (6021 USA Full), 2.5 GHz Intel Xeon W iMac Pro, 64 GB RAM, MacOS 10.14, AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64
7 REPLIES 7
jameshart
Newcomer
(Oops, I had a second post re: schedules that I meant to post in the schedules forum, and I meant to post this one elsewhere! Sorry about that!)
ArchiCAD 22 (6021 USA Full), 2.5 GHz Intel Xeon W iMac Pro, 64 GB RAM, MacOS 10.14, AMD Radeon Pro Vega 64
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This should work regardless of where the Walls are located: host file or hotlinked module.
You should check those Walls in the hotlinked module:
1. Are they correctly joining to each other?
2. Are they correctly joining to Walls within the host file?
3. Is their "Relation to Zones" setting set to the proper value?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
jameshart
Newcomer
laszlonagy wrote:
This should work regardless of where the Walls are located: host file or hotlinked module.
You should check those Walls in the hotlinked module:
1. Are they correctly joining to each other?
2. Are they correctly joining to Walls within the host file?
3. Is their "Relation to Zones" setting set to the proper value?
Thanks for getting back to me Laszlo!

I also thought it should work and I was surprised when it didn't! I have checked:
1. Yes, the walls all clean up correctly.
2. Yes, they are correctly joining in the host file.
3. Yes, they are all set as zone boundaries.

Any other ideas? Thanks again for your help!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am trying to find out if this is file specific:

If you start a brand new file using New & Reset, then place the Hotlinked Module in that file, can you place Zones in the host file then? Because if the answer is yes, then there is something in your current Project File that is causing this behavior.
jameshart
Newcomer
laszlonagy wrote:
I am trying to find out if this is file specific:

If you start a brand new file using New & Reset, then place the Hotlinked Module in that file, can you place Zones in the host file then? Because if the answer is yes, then there is something in your current Project File that is causing this behavior.
I gave this a shot, and I am still unable to place zones using the automatic recognition method.

Just to test, I tried breaking the hotlink and tried again to place the zone using the automatic method, but even then the automatic recognition method does not work. Furthermore, I just discovered that there are other non-hotlink walls in the host file that won't work with the automatic recognition methods either. Apparently there is something about these walls that ArchiCAD doesn't like? Please see the attached screenshot.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Could be their Renovation Status? It is set to New. What if you set all of them to Existing?
jameshart
Newcomer
laszlonagy wrote:
Could be their Renovation Status? It is set to New. What if you set all of them to Existing?
YES, that was it! I didn't even think about the renovation status for a zone, but it makes total logical sense!

Summary of my findings:
  • • Existing wall + existing zone = OK
    • New wall + existing zone = NOT OK
    • Existing wall + new zone = OK
    • New wall + new zone = OK
Thanks Laszlo!
Learn and get certified!