BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

dragged view onto the Layout is rotated by 11 degrees.WHY ?!

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I drag and drop or place an external drawing onto the layout it is rotated by 11.98 degrees...... WHY IS THAT ?!! AND HOW CAN I CHANGE IT ?!

image link:
http://imgur.com/a/ylhec

And the drawing becomes rotated as well

image link:
http://imgur.com/a/OZWAp

I've searched high and low for an answer online to no avail.
I can't find the Drag and drop rotation settings or whatever....

It isn't from the work environment. I opened up another project with the latest settings (same work profile + same template used) and if I try the same operation, it drags a normal, unrotated drawing like normal.

My rant and insatosfactory experience with this product below: (no need to read)

Archicad's icons look like they're from the year 1920, like it's Windows 3.1

& in order to know how to do something in Archicad, you must first ACTUALLY know how to do it!!!! IT IS NOT INTUITIVE AT ALL!

Take for example how you learn to crop an image:
In Autocad you right click the photo's edges and you have an option to "clip" it via a custom path.
In Archicad, if you have a placed image onto the work-view, there is no way to do so,.... you have to add white fills around the edges to hide what you don't want to show up and mess with the DISPLAY ORDER.

The learning curve is a "vertical line" in this piece of software.

After searching HIGH AND LOW again, I found out in the corner of a subtext from a tutorial that you have to open the image via Open, then select a RECTANGLE with the marquee, copy and then paste it into the work-view.... WITH NO ABILITY TO MODIFY the edges of the SAID asset to a CUSTOM CONTOUR !!
Really?! It's the 19th installment and they still don't have this option ???!

Archicad is bugging me more and more.
Add the 1980's GUI design and COMPLETE LACK OF INTUITIVE user learning experience and you have a product that I wouldn't buy if my life depended on it.

Seriously considering to switching to Rhino or Revit. Will do so after I am done with this project.
3 REPLIES 3
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
johnny28xh wrote:
When I drag and drop or place an external drawing onto the layout it is rotated by 11.98 degrees...... WHY IS THAT ?!! AND HOW CAN I CHANGE IT ?!
Look at the default settings for the Drawing Tool > Size and Appearance > Angle, it is probably set to 11.98˚, set it to 0˚.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Take for example how you learn to crop an image:
In Autocad you right click the photo's edges and you have an option to "clip" it via a custom path.
In Archicad, if you have a placed image onto the work-view, there is no way to do so,.... you have to add white fills around the edges to hide what you don't want to show up and mess with the DISPLAY ORDER
If I am understanding you correctly it is very easy to modify a placed image or layout. ( See attached ) This is AC20 but this was available for many versions back.
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
sinceV6
Advocate
johnny28xh wrote:
...My rant and insatosfactory experience with this product ...
Your frustration comes from your lack of knowledge of the software and wrong expectations. You had to ACTUALLY know how to make a line in AutoCAD BEFORE you made one, right? Same here. Don't expect to just launch the program and have the glory of ArchiCAD knowledge fall upon you. Even new cars come with a manual for you to read before using the product and you had to know how it worked before using it or you'd crash.

ArchiCAD has a reference guide too. It is one of the most complete and friendly documentations I've seen for such a complex program. Take some time and browse through it. Don't like to read? NO PROBLEM! Do a movie weekend! Just skip netfilx and launch the ArchiCAD YouTube Channel and watch the archicad playlists. Simple as that.

The same will happen if you think Rhino or Revit are easier.

As for comparison with autoCAD, just remember YODA: you must unlearn what you have learned

Best regards.
Learn and get certified!