BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

vraydisplacement on archicad geometry in 3ds max

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello!
need help. I model in ArchiCAD and export that geometry in 3d window save as: *.3ds. Under "construct 3d studio objects according to: I choose option materials and unit as 1000mm.
Problem is when I try to use vraydisplacementmod on those exported geometry. Even though I turn on keep continuity I get uncontinued displacement over edges.
There is link to screenshot of what I am talking about. In the rendered image left object is exported from archicad and the right one is box modeled in max.

Does any one have any solution for that problem?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad created a few more polys that you are needed.

1. Erase all this unnessesary polygons (you will find them in connections between walls and so on)
2. Connect all points that should be connected, WELD I guess it's called in 3d studio

Then the modell should be working as if you have done a boxmodelling directly in 3d studio.
Why would you use displacement on that?

Seems to me to be a waste of CPUprocessing/rendering time.

vray has very good bump mapping if you clean up your bump maps and increase the contrast in Photoshop.

Vertex welding is a good solution in this particular situation but it wouldn't solve your problem when you use displacement on a flat plane (like on a furry carpet or grass mesh)

I once read somewhere that a more effective solution would be to have a black edge border (a few pixels width) around your displacement map which will tie the displacement down in that region (you can easily and quickly do this in photoshop.
And in the case of a tileable map, then you would create a geometry border around the actual plane, face or geometry that has to be displaced and then using the multi-subobject material, create a displacement map from your displament shader that has a nondisplaced material to go on that edge.

But like I said before, dispalcement is a very processor heavy procedure and you should only use it sparingly where you can't fake bumping with the bump map, otherwise you're just killing your rendertimes with that.
Learn and get certified!