BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

AC 12 Dimension Tool

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just upgraded to 12.

I don't know the genius who decided to amalgamate the horizontal and vertical dimension tools but shooting is definitely too good for him/her.

It's nearly impossible to dimension a densely populated site without the tool deciding to place the dimension in the opposite direction to the one you want, which means you have to place the blasted thing wherever you can and then drag it to where it should be - more unecessary work.

Somebody tell me there is a way to revert to separate tools.

And no I am not going to use the automatic dimensioning tool because in my view it works fine on nice new buildings on greenfield sites and is a waste of time on the usual pokey sites I operate on.

Regards

Chris Dennehy
AC 4.55, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and AC12
Mac OSX 10.5: 24" iMac
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Calm down Chris!

Does selecting the option highlighted below help you? It will either restrain dims to X or Y directions or any angle, or is that what you are having a problem with?

I've found the new dimension features in AC12 to be much better than before. One of my biggest bugbears was having to separately select either X or Y direction, which they have now solved.

Try using the circular indicator that appears on plan when there is more than one position for a dim to go, to help you quickly position the mouse to get the required result.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Between bites of sour cranberry souce, I must second the motion that the new multi cultural dimmension tool is hot stuff.
And I work with "Not so big houses" myself.
Although maybe Chris your having a unique dimmensional shift?
No pun intended.
Bier
Thomas Holm
Booster
Peter wrote:
I've found the new dimension features in AC12 to be much better than before. One of my biggest bugbears was having to separately select either X or Y direction, which they have now solved..
Yep. The new dimension tool in AC12 is an immense and long overdue improvement, actually enough to motivate an upgrade in itself if you do a lot of such work!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your comments, I have it constrained in the X/Y coordinates and that's what's annoying me, it will not make up it's mind as to whether it's vertical or horizontal.

Regards

Chris Dennehy

AC 4.55 to AC 12
OSX 10.5 24" iMac
50 years in Architecture & counting
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Chris:

I just tried this (I agree with the others that when I started using 12, I hated going back to 11 on older projects to do dimensions), and using option-x or option-y to constrain the direction works for me, but I am constraining after setting the dimension points and the circle with the direction options appears. Maybe you can post more information about your method, and what is not working. This is a tool that I do not want to see reverted to its previous form.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
David wrote:
This is a tool that I do not want to see reverted to its previous form.
Me either, In fact I was hoping GS would lose the constraints altogether! Free the tool up a bit.

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!