BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

AC-14 New Label settings

I love the new label settings.

I am using it to generate my Wall Legends.
All you have to do is draw a short section of wall and show the label.
For the walls of the building turn the auto skin display off.

No text here at all. eveything comes from the label.
The new feature to labels has great potential for many things. Very nice.

By null at 2010-07-02

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

12 REPLIES 12
Stress Co_
Advisor
Where's your vapor barrier?
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tyvek
Stress Co_
Advisor
lec1212 wrote:
Tyvek
I'd call that a House Wrap, not a Vapor Barrier.

I really should have said a "Vapor Retarder".
Section R318 of the IRC requires it in every climate zone but Zones 1 thru 4.
The Oregon Coast is Zone 4 ... so I can see why Steve didn't show it.

I never thought of Oregon as Hot and Humid.

... and not to go toooo far off topic. The new label tool looks to be very useful.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are still on 2007 CBC here in Calif.
We don't adopt IRC until January.
I left my code book at job site
but I'll check that out Monday.
Thanks for your info.

And thanks Steve for all your up to the minute post regarding 14.
I'm going to a Presentation by Archvista in Oakland on the 7th.
Hope to see more insider stuff.
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress,

Residential, (USA South-East, not Florida), energy climate zone 4:
No matter where you locate the barrier, they trap moisture.
Moisture in our locale moves both ways depending on season.

Snap
PS Noticed that Cal is also Zone 4, however I think we are far more humid.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cbecs/climate_zones.html
Karl Ottenstein
Steve,

Couple of questions on the example you posted.

How did you get rid of the leading zero for the fractional thicknesses? I've found it peculiar that the Wall Label gets its units from an internal parameter, not the Preferences, and it does not respond to the Dimension settings for turning the leading zero off. So, I get [0 1/2"] where you get [1/2"]. Is there a parameter for this in the label itself?

Not sure how you got no thickness at all to show for certain elements?

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
No special trick. I added the information in the new label settings (Auto Skin Display) The data is not extracted from the wall.
I want to use the same simple 2-line graphic for all walls and just change the labels by dbl clicking on the label I want from the Favorites menu.

By null at 2010-07-07

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Karl Ottenstein
Ah, thanks, Steve. I missed that your first post said to "turn the auto skin display off".

In that case, I don't see any reason to be excited? By using manual skins, there is no BIM and the result is identical to if you had used text and a marker, other than that it is a single element rather than two (and the text block would offer more sophisticated formatting options). I must be missing something.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
One of several advantages for me is in the way I can edit a label from any location in the in the project and it will update the wall legend, or I can edit a label on the wall legend and all of the labels for that wall type will be updated at the same time by using the Favorites update feature. I can do this because it’s the same label in the wall schedule as in the other locations. The difference is that I can turn off the text display for the regular labels and leave it on to make a convenient wall legend. No more search and find to make sure each label for each wall type is correct. I like that. I also like it that there is not text to fuss with. It's all in the label.
As for how the new label features relate to BIM function, I don’t know yet. I haven’t tried to use it in that way. This is because I do not extract much BIM data from this type of wall, and nothing is extracted from the label. I model all of the wall framing (studs, trimmers, headers, plate, etc…) and the BIM data is extracted from there and from the zones, etc…not from the wall or the label.
I am doing this because using formulas in ArchiCAD calculations is usually more difficult for me than modeling the components individually. If it’s in a schedule, I will most often model it as an individual component.
I have made wall legends using schedules but I think using these new labels this is going to be better for me.
How do you make a wall legend ?

Learn and get certified!