BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

AC 17 Wall Tags

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you guys approach tagging walls in plan and/or wall section? I feel like I am struggling a lot more than necessary to get simple tags to work.

What I'm trying to do is the following:
1. Tag walls that read their Composite Name, which contains a label such as "A1" for example
2. Has a diamond shaped head and a tail that points to the wall in plan and section.
3. Tag walls (and floors) in a wall section and have the tail rotate to be perpendicular to the wall.

Just a general discussion and approach to tagging would help. It seems to work one way on one job and then not work the same way on the next.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
<BUMP>

Any ideas?
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could code one if your into gdl, or buy one like this http://cadswift.com.au/products/Swift-Wall-Label.html. Or masters scripts labeleverything

There are a few posts here on labelling. A couple of the issues I have is you can only label each element once in each view. So a long wall that is presented on two layouts for instance becomes a problem. LE does this but isn't updated for 18.
Or you need to label two different attributes of an element? This is a bit better with 18's general label.
No out of the box labels allow limiting character numbers. Again LE does this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply!

Right now I'm fighting with the old dudes here who want everything to look exactly as it did in 2D land 15 years ago, so I'm trying to find a compromise between what they want to see and Archicad's extreme limitations.

So let me get this straight. To accomplish what I'm looking for, I need to either:
1. Learn GS's code that it made up for itself.
2. Buy another 3rd party object that typically comes with its own limitations and sketchy coding.
3. 2D it.

Seems like every answer is to buy a 3rd party software or not get what you want, which is more than a little discouraging.

This of course adds to my ever-growing list of things that I can easily and quickly accomplish in Revit, and is impossible in AC. There needs to be a better way to create our own content, whether it's tags or anything else, without knowing how to write GDL code.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree gdl is not easy for non-coder types. You should post a picture of what you are trying to do and someone might pipe up with a home baked label or a way to get what you want out of the box
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Bringing this post back from the dead - need diamond detail box for wall labels also - trying to learn how to rotate square labels, and/or learn to make the CW label rotate and stay locked to walls... per screenshots. Horiz wall behaviour - good. Rotate walls - my parameter mods go wonky.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Andy Thomson
Advisor
wonky
Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 9.35.19 AM.png
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
Andy Thomson
Advisor
@dweigand - did you finally make your label look the way you wanted?
Director
Anonymous
Not applicable
Andy,

I too have been interested in an associative wall-type tag. And then I saw this posting from Ransom today:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=243788#243788

Maybe you could dovetail some of the functions that you indicate with his work.

Thanks
Learn and get certified!