BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

AC26 dimensions

Too Long
Enthusiast

Has anyone noticed that dimensions behave differently in AC26 prior to any previous versions?

Ive noticed when adding a new dimension into an existing string which includes mulitline text that the text moves across to the new dimension rather than staying where it was or atleast remaining associated to the item its dimensioning.

I know its confusing, writing this was difficult. So please see attached pics before and after.

The "W" should remain associated to the dimensions that are associated to the window.

this was never an issue prior to 26.

Screenshot 2023-03-20 142605.jpgScreenshot 2023-03-20 142641.jpg

AC26 AUS Full
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

I can see the issue, and I guess it is just that Archicad has to 'choose' which part of the split dimension will keep the custom text.

I my thinking, both should get it.

Does it make a difference if when placing the original dimension points you chose them from left to right or right to left?

Maybe that will determine which way the custom text moves?

If that does affect it, I think it is still going to be a case of just fix it up after you edit it.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks mate.

Yeah ive tried both directions and there's no difference unfortunately.

Its just annoying firstly to have to make the change but more so that ive never had to do it previously.

Thanks all the same.

This is the response from CI and GS.

The developers checked the file and it is not a bug. Placing the last wall it creates a so-called T junction with the dimensioned wall. In T junctions the associatively dimensional points are the "cross-section" points, which can "jump" when the last wall is flipped.

If the user wants to dimension the whole length of the wall, then the dimension should be placed at the end point of the reference line. It is not easy, because the reference line end point mostly overlaps with a "cross-section" point, and the latter has higher priority. The solution is to set the Reference line location temporarily to the Center, place the dimension, and then set it back.

AC26 AUS Full

I don't understand the CI / GS response, as that seems to have nothing to do with adding an intermediate dimension node as shown in your image.

Things are definitely different between 25 and 26.

The actual dimension tool did change a bit.

In 25 it was just 'Custom text' which you could force to be on the line below.

In 26 it is called 'Multi-line text' -does the same thing but they have even re-vamped the settings dialogue a bit as well.

So maybe the way the dimensions are handled changed a bit as well.

In 25, when I add a node to a dimension with custom text, they custom text turns off in both new dimensions.

In 26, the custom text remains and moves to the dimension value on the right.

I personally think it should remain in both.

I don't see any way to make it stay with any particular dimension.

BarryKelly_0-1679293271451.png

Unfortunately, it seems that it is something that just need to be edited.

It would be nice if we could collect the settings and inject them into the other text.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

As Barry indicated, we did make a small change to custom text behaviour. Too often custom text would revert back to default after some changes in the model, causing many support cases. We now try to keep this custom text intact, rather than reverting to default to avoid those issues (the custom text still existed before, we previously just switched the radio buttons, now we don't).

Sometimes dimension nodes may switch position though, like flipping a wall, causing the dimension segment and custom text to potentially move positions.

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Learn and get certified!