Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Active section lines throughout several files

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all,

I have a problem with proper linking of section and elevation lines throughout different files.

The premise is this: I have provided a different file for each series (A100, A200, so on...) so that several people can work on different tasks during documentation. This brought up the problem that each file would need several section lines, and most of the section lines present in the floor plans (A100) would be duds and does not link to anything, which defeats its own purpose for documentation. I thought up of linking layouts to external content, but that would mean that the elevations should still need to be on the main file and editing would still be done on it, rather than distributed.

I know that it would be better if it was a teamwork file, but I had the impression from the start that the project was simple enough to be done using modules.

Thanks, and hoping for your replies.

R
2 REPLIES 2
Erika Epstein
Booster
R
You sure have made a lot of work for yourself.

I see you have Archicad 13. TW2 is so fast and quick and easy to use, you really should be using it.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rian,

I am currently working on R15, so I do not know if this will apply for you. I can walk you through what I did and see if you can do similar with R13.

If this gets too complicated, let me know.

I have actually had the same problem that you described in the past, but I can link the autotext (section, elevation, details, etc...) between files. My current project is a small cabin project that has a massive site plan. I moved the site plan data to another project file, due to it was slowing the file down. I then linked the site plan back to the main file. Some of the steps might not be necessary, but this is how I got it to work.

This example is using the detail command to link, but section or elevation should work the same.

The file that the site plan is located I will refer to MASTERPLAN

The file that has everything else (where the final drawings are located) I will refer to MAIN

1. In the masterplan file I created layouts of the overall site plan and enlarged site plan (the enlarged site plan will be the linked item).

2. In the overall site plan view I created a linked detail clicking on "The first placed drawing of the selected view" and selected the enlarged site plan. This links the view itself to the detail.

3. I moved to the main file and went to the Layout Book to the sheet where the site plans were to be located.

4. I clicked on the Project Chooser button on the upper left part of the Navigator.

5. It shows the file you are using, any other file you have open, or you can browse to find another file. When you click the file you want, the "View Map" and "Layout Book" tabs are selectable from the other file.

5. Click The View Map, and find the view you want to link and drag it into your sheet on the Layout Book. The view from the masterplan file is now linked into the main file.

6. For me, I wanted the overall site plan to show a detail rectangle that was linked to the enlarged site plan drawing. When I brought in both views into the main file, the detail was linked to the MAIN file. If I move the enlarged site plan to another sheet, the detail autotext automatically changes.

With some tweaking, you should be able to link autotext items between files.

Jeff