Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Archicad & the Metaverse

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

I wonder how Archicad will compete in the metaverse?

I think it's going to be increasingly easy to build beautiful structures without real-world limitations or clients to worry about. There will be as much, if not much more, money to be made in virtual worlds than in the real world. The first virtual building has also sold for approximately $512,000 and it will never be built. Or perhaps we sell our models as NFTs along with our real-world deliverables. 

I have personally already bought 4 lots in SuperWorld and am eyeing up Victoria VR (the first hyper-realistic virtual, unreal engine powered, blockchain world which is about to drop early next year) next. It's early days, but the digital land rush has begun. Buildings can be sold or rented, or advertising  / augmented reality rights can be leased, in multiple worlds.

Web 3.0 is just around the corner. Is anyone else planning to stake a claim? Do you think Archicad will play a big part in it?

Would love to hear more opinions!

Cheers,

Link.

69 REPLIES 69
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

I'm happy to see more positive interest in this topic. I think it would be great for Graphisoft to weigh in here also. There's so much potential, it's fascinating. As an extension of the real world, the metaverse will undoubtedly be one of the most significant technological shifts of our lifetime.

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

For anyone stumbling onto this topic for the first time or anyone not quite understanding why I’m excited about the potential of the metaverse, grab a cup of coffee or a beer and watch it presented by experts: https://youtu.be/WGij1AuzkL4

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

Just gonna leave this here. Architects creating a platform they can benefit from. Who woulda thunk it? 

https://www.dezeen.com/2022/03/11/liberland-metaverse-city-zaha-hadid-architects/

Tom Krowka
Booster

Personally I don't have  philosophical issue with architecture in the metaverse. As long as I can exchange bitcoin earned for actual physical items it seems like just another  aspect of capitalism.    Also...I've been using Archicad since version 8.    I have generated lots of models, some better than others.  So two questions seem to come to mind. 

1.  How does one translate (export) the Archicad model into a format that will be accepted in the metaverse.  It appears there are many metaverse worlds popping up already.   I 

2.  Am assuming there must be middleman (third party) entities that act as transfers between buyer and seller of virtual buildings, art, etc.   I have found a virtual real estate agency that will help you buy "property" in metaverse worlds. 

3.  I think I have a lot of research to do.    I find it hard to believe that people will want to spend so much time virtually after all the isolation we've been through in the past couple of years.  it would seem that more interaction in the physical world is the way to go.    Apparently not.  

Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com

Link i have been wanting to ask you: Do you want to engage in a discussion about this topic, which i find extremely interesting but not necesarily share your view, or you just want to promote it and validate your point of view? Both of them are fine by me. 

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

Open to anything really. I am hoping to raise awareness. I do think there's a big opportunity for Graphisoft/Nemetscheck here to develop their own virtual world, in which their software can be used to build it.

I do get tired of people who dismiss this whole idea without being willing to learn more about it first. They can move on to other discussions. I'm not here to argue about it - I'd rather have an engaging discussion about the possibilities.

Cheers,

Link.

Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

Hi Tom

1. All virtual worlds are different. Some are limited to their own (usually very limited) built-in modeling solution. Somnium Space and Decentraland are examples. Some worlds let you import models. Decentraland allows glTF files from various applications, such as Blender, Sketchup, Maya, etc. It differs between worlds and its early days so I am sure the range of file types will increase. For now, they are limited as is the complexity of the models. 

2. No, this is the point of decentralization. There is no middle man. At least there shouldn't be. And because everything is recorded on the blockchain, there's an official record of exclusive ownership. (Meta will probably try something centralized though.)

3. On the flip side we could have richer online experiences with friends and family than we've had in isolation. I know SuperWorld has plans to integrate AR & VR, all tied to actual real-world locations. You can be at a beach or concert and enjoy it with your loved ones, no matter where they are, or what their physical limitations may be. You could hike in the real world together with your bed-ridden grandpa who joins you virtually. I believe there's plenty of opportunity for positive outcomes, not just capitalist ones. It's not all about people wandering around like zombies in a semi-virtual state, while a company gets rich. 

Just my opinion of course! 

Cheers,

Link.

gavinNZz
Advocate

Good discussion point and much needed. Unfortunately Graphisoft is a day late and a dollar short when it comes to these technologies. Archicad will quickly become an obsolete old fashioned piece of modelling software. The need for phyiscal 2D plans is coming to an end and with it, Archicad's core output function. As centralized BIM models start to be hosted in systems built on Nvidias Ominverse the need for all functions to be provided by the architectural software, like Archicad/revit etc), will diminish. If Graphisoft is not already rewriting their software to integrate it fully into cloud systems like the Omniverse then they have already missed their one chance to be a relevant piece of software in the future. When you look at the development happening behind the Omniverse system, most notably AI, it is decades ahead of Graphisoft. If they want to be relevant then they need to access this tech for deployment within their software as opposed to thinking they will do it themselves. That time has passed. 

Planworks Ltd
Residential Designer based in Tauranga, NZ
Archicad v9+
VR enthusiast.
Always wants more!

I checked out Nividia Omniverse.    Am not sure one guy can generate models via that program, or import other formats easily.   It looks like a program for a big concern like a game developer or Movie studio.   A bit overwhelming.   Another big learning curve that I for one don't have much interest in pursuing.  

Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner

The omniverse certainly has the potential to disrupt everything we know. The AI aspect is mind-boggling! I suspect it's a little ways out yet to become mainstream, but definitely worth keeping an eye on it at the very least. I am not sure I agree if it's too late for GS, but this is kinda my point with this entire discussion. They could create a world of their own! Thanks for your input - good to see other people appreciating what all is coming up in the not-too-distant future! If you have any experience with creating models in the omniverse, please do share! 😎

Cheers,

Link.