Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Background updating

Arcadia
Booster
Despite having background updating turned on I still always have to wait for elevations etc to regenerate whenever I open up a layout. Why?

I have seen no improvement in speed or updating since this feature was included.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
I am not sure that background updating increases the speed of the layouts.
This is from the 19 Reference Guide (new features) ...
PERFORMANCE
New Background Processing for Nearly Instant Model Views
With background processing, ArchiCAD 19 takes advantage of the processor’s unused capacity to
build up different model views in advance. Background processing also utilizes your hardware
more efficiently. Enjoy a smoother workflow and a lot of saved time!
• Open model windows (or tabs) are always kept up to date
• Much faster switching among 3D, 3D Document, Section/Elevation/IE‐type views
• No waiting for rebuilds ‐ if you open a view by mistake, you no longer have to wait for it to
rebuild before switching to a different view
• Page through layouts that contain auto‐rebuild drawings without delay
• See feedback on background processing in your status bar (click to suspend as needed)
• Work Environment option for Power Save mode: Suspend background processing feature if
you’re using a battery‐powered device
Also it only works for currently open model windows (tabs) - and not for those that you are yet to open.

And I believe library objects can also stop background updating if they are not scripted properly.
I can't find info on what not to do in GDL scripts at the moment but if I find it I will add it here.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Here is some more info from the HelpCenter.

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/archicad/documentation/background-updating/

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Arcadia
Booster
Thanks Barry. It seems like it only works on whatever is in the tab bar. I've never really found the tabs that useful since it always feels like the view I want is never there so I just keep going to the navigator. ie if I want elevation 4 the tab bar may show only elevation 1 which was the last one I looked at so I have to go to the navigator. The tab bar is redundant.

I have so much unused processor capacity while I am working it would be great if AC could continuously update the layouts as well.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Barry Kelly
I am still getting used to the tab bar - still find myself using the Navigator which really should be hidden and the pop-up Navigator used if need be.

With the tab bar I find it is best to have all elevations open in separate windows/tabs so it is important to make that change in the Work Environment settings.
If you have it set so new elevations open in the same window/tab then that pretty much defeats the use of background processing.

The same can be done for layouts in new tabs as well - but I find that the number of open tabs can get a little out of hand if you don't close down the ones you are really not using.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
This is the WE page that Barry is referring to:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/archicad-20-reference-guide/user_interface_refer...
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager